Doe a Deer

"Lily don't do it!" Petunia cried as Lily leaped off of her swing. The young girl seemed to float in midair for a heartbeat before she came gently down to the ground. Petunia dug her heels into the sand to stop her own swing before running over to Lily. "Mummy said no!" Petunia shouted crossly at her sister.

"But I'm fine Tuney, look at this! Watch what I can do!" Lilly excitedly picked up a flower from the ground. She held it in both of her hands and brought it close to Petunia's curious face. The flower seemed to bloom and close up all on it's own in Lily's small hands.

"Stop it!" Petunia yells as she closes her hands around Lily's.

"It's not hurting you." Lily says softly.

"It's not right" Petunia looks down at their hands and opens them again. "How do you do it?"

"It's obvious isn't it?" a voice rings out. Suddenly a young boy pops out of the bushes in front of the two girls. He is disheveled and dirty from sitting in the bush for such a long time. 

Petunia screams and takes a few steps back from the boy. Lily looks at him curiously. "What's obvious?" She asks.

"I know what you are" The boy claims, moving closer to Lily.

"What do you mean?" She asked.

"You- you're a witch." He answered with a proud smile.

Lily frowned, "Well that's not a very nice thing to say to somebody".  She turned, took Petunia's hand and started off toward home.

The boy seemed to realize his mistake and ran after the girls. "No! No you are! You are a witch! I've been watching you for a while, my mums one too and I'm a wizard!" 

Petunia stopped suddenly and turned around, wrenching her hand out of Lily's. "I know who you are! You're that Snape boy! You live down on Spinners End by the river. Why have you been spying on us?" She demanded from the boy.

"I wasn't spying! I wouldn't spy on you anyhow. You're a muggle." The boy backfired.

Petunia, realizing that the word was meant to be an insult, turned quickly taking Lily's hand again "Come on Lily, we're leaving". 

Lily looked back over her shoulder once more at Severus Snape, the odd boy from down the road, who just might have the answers to all her questions.