Platform 9 3/4

The train station was filled with noise and movement. Children and parents saying their goodbyes. New friends meeting, and old friends reconnecting. Cats meowing and owls screeching. James Potter was finally boarding the train after a long goodbye with his parents when he noticed another young boy looking around the station nervously as if he didn't really know what to do. James grabbed his trunk and made his way over to the lad. Sticking his hand out he introduced himself. 

"James Potter, need some help?" He asked the boy.

The boy took his hand nervously and bobbed his head up and down enthusiastically. "Yes, I'm not sure what to do. I'm Peter, Peter Pettigrew."

James thought it was odd that the boys parents weren't there to help him, but he didn't want to pry so he just carried on the conversation, "If you grab your trunk I'll show you around the train, you can hang out in my compartment with me if you want"

The look of relief on Peter's face was uncanny. "Thank you so much, I've been so confused since I got here."

"No problem" James said as he grabbed his own trunk and lead the boy towards the train. "So, know anything about quidditch?"

As Peter and James became fast friends and headed off to the train a muggle family entered the platform through the brick wall. The Evans were looking around nervously as the began their goodbyes with their youngest daughter. Lily was trying hard to get Petunia to talk to her.

"I'm sorry, Tuney, I'm sorry! Listen -" Lily grabbed Petunia's hand as she tried to pull away, "Maybe once I'm there I'll be able to go to Professor Dumbledore and persuade him to change his mind!"

Petunia yanked her arm out of Lily's grasp, "I don't want to go! You think I want to go to some stupid castle and be a freak?" She looked around the station narrowing her eyes.

"I'm not a freak", Lily teared up, "That's a horrible thing to say." 

"That's where you're going" Petunia sneered, "A special school for freaks. You and that Snape boy... weirdos, that's what you two are. It's good you're being separated from normal people it's for our safety."

Lily looked around the station in wonder before turning back to her sister, " You didn't think it was such a freaks school when you wrote to the headmaster and begged him to take you. I saw his reply, it was very kind."

Petunia gasped, turning scarlet, "You shouldn't have read - that was my private - how could you?"

Lily turned slightly seeing Severus with his family a few yards away. Petunia followed her gaze and spun around "That boy found it! You and that boy have been sneaking in my room!" 

"No - Not sneaking!" Lily exclaimed, " Severus saw the envelope and couldn't believe a muggle could have contacted Hogwarts, that's all! He said there must be wizards in the postal services." 

Petunia, now pale with shock spat, "Apparently wizards poke their noses in everywhere! Freak!" and she flounced off to join her parents. Lily gazed sadly across the platform at Severus who gave a small wave. Then she turned to say goodbye to her parents and marched confidently onto the train. She looked around trying to find an empty compartment, but the best she could do was one with two other boys talking quietly. She entered and cautiously asked "May I join you? Everywhere else is full"

One of the boys looked up and peered at her through his glasses, "Sure can, names James, what's yours?" 

"Lily", she replied, and sat down next to the window to watch all the magical families that had come to see their children off.