The Sorting Ceremony

The newbies filed into the great hall and as the ceremony began. They all looked around them in wonder. There were floating candlesticks, banners covering the walls, and the ceiling looked as if it had been replaced with the night sky. Professor McGonagall stood in front of the first years with a hat on top of a stool. She explained that each student would put the hat on in front of everyone to determine which house they would be sorted into.

Lily and Severus stood at the back waiting to be called. As someone with the last name Avery was sorted into Slytherin Severus leaned in and whispered to Lily, "Will you at least try to get into Slytherin?"

"Severus I can't do anything about where the hat puts me, if it's meant to be then I'll end up there, but I can't control it." 

Severus huffed and then noticed that Sirius Black was up with the hat on. The hat kept quiet for a long time before eventually declaring "Gryffindor!" Sirius looked absolutely shocked. He looked over at the Slytherin table to find his brother glaring daggers at him. But then he was swept up in the very loud cheering coming from the Gryffindor table. He wasn't like the rest of his family, and this right here was proof. 

As Sirius was enjoying getting to know his new house Lily Evans was called up. She sat there for barely a second when the hat cried out, "Gryffindor!" Lily rushed over to her new house and looked back at Severus for a second with a small sad smile. Sirius moved over to make room for her on the bench. She decided that even though the boy had been a bit rude on the train, she wasn't going to hold that against him. She introduced herself as the first years kept getting sorted into their houses. 

Eventually Remus Lupin joined them. He had the biggest smile on his face for he had finally done it. He belonged to this school and the hat had proven it. He sat down across from Lily and introduced himself. He would be brave because the hat said he was. He would try because the hat had given him a home. He belonged. 

Peter Pettigrew had the hat on now. The hat couldn't make up it's mind. It considered Hufflepuff and Slytherin, for those were the two that Peter would fit in best. But Peter thought about his new friend that he had made on the train. He wanted to stay friends with James and hopefully with the other boys as well. He wanted to join them in Gryffindor, and so the hat decided "Gryffindor!" Peter almost fell off the stool in his excitement. He skittered across the hall to the table and joined the other Gryffindor's. He would have friends. 

James wasn't worried in the slightest. He knew Gryffindor was the only place for him so when he sat down confidently he wasn't at all surprised when the hat placed him within seconds. He joined his new friends at the table "Told you it was the best house!" he boasted to Sirius as he sat down at the table. But James couldn't help it when the red head on the other side caught his eye. She smiled at him and he became suddenly nervous. Deciding to show off a bit he turned to Sirius and said, "Bet you six galleons that Snivellus gets into Slytherin." 

Sirius grinned "No way we all know that slimy git's going there, no use wasting galleons on that bet"

Lily, appalled by the boys, turned her nose up "Well so what if SEVERUS is in Slytherin. It's got to be better than sharing a room with you!"

James, trying to show off some more, replied "Really? Want to test that theory Evans?"

Lily ignored James and turned to Alice, another girl that had been sorted into Gryffindor. 

Severus sat upon the stool and almost immediately the hat declared him to be in Slytherin. He stood and joined the Slytherin table where Lucius Malfoy a prefect patted him on the back and introduced him to his new house. Severus felt honored to be apart of Slytherin, but as he looked across the great hall and saw Lily laughing at something a fellow Gryffindor had said he felt a twinge of sadness. He shook it off and greeted his new housemates.