I.

Lìfa was standing on the town square, a pool of blood spreading and flowing under her feet, staring at the flames rising to the sky. The women and their children screamed, pushing past her, running to the forest, the fields, anywhere they could hide. The flames were eating the wooden buildings fast, and destroying everything in their way. The smoke was thick and black, covering almost everything in sight. For a few long moments, she just stood there, confused and shocked, watching her beloved home die.

Everything happened so fast. A huge drakkar* arrived at the shores of Thornvik, and in no time fully armored barbarians filled the small sleepy fisher town. They wore a dragon painted on their round shields in the colours of red and yellow. Ingolf's henchmen  Lìfa immediately recognised the symbol, though she had never met them before. Ingolf was a notorious warchief with many ships and even more warriors. But what did he want from the city of Thornvik?

His men rushed into the buildings, dragging women out and making them theirs on the spot. Others were robbing, then setting the small houses on fire and killing anyone they could. Most of the town's warriors were out on the sea selling their goods and probably wouldn't return for at least two more days. Only young boys and women stayed at home. Lìfa had a feeling Ingolf knew it well, and he had a reason to send his men here.

Lìfa wasted no time, she grabbed a fallen shield from the ground, her battle axe from her belt, and rushed into the smokes, where she heard a battle about to start. Young boys from the town took up the fight against the strong, well-trained troops. They got outnumbered, but as true viking warriors, they did everything they could.

Lìfa joined the small shield wall they formed and took up the fight, side by side with her friends. The sound of metal crashing against metal filled the air, spiced by the fire's roar and the painful cry of the deceived. Lìfa was a skilled warrior, but she had never experienced a real fight before. It was the first time fighting was a matter of life and death. The movements and shouts of her mates blurred into one loud mess. She couldn't hear from the blood rushing violently in her ears.

She lunged at a tall man with two scramasaxes* in his hands. The man was too big and slow, while the girl was fast and agile. She buried her axe in his side with a powerful swing. She felt the bones snap and break, blood splashed in her face. One down, way too many to go. She immediately targeted a new enemy. The man was as big as a troll, full of muscle.

He swung his giant sword and aimed at Lìfa's skull, trying to crush her head since she didn't have a helmet. She blocked the deadly strike just in time with her shield, which broke into tiny shards from the impact. The strength of the blow forced her down on her knees, her arm holding the shield was throbbing from pain and went numb. Her vision became blurry. She instinctively threw the broken shield away and rolled to the side, holding her axe with the other hand. She eyed the giant man with caution, ready to dodge his next swing. He was too big for her to defeat; she needed another plan fast. Seeing her struggle, the man let out an ugly smile, showing his yellowed teeth.

"Come, kitty! Aren't you afraid of me? You'd better put your tiny weapon down and purr at me. If you ask nicely, I may take you home and make you my" He couldn't finish, as the pointy edge of a sword peaked out of his chest and blood ran down his body. When the troll-like man fell to the ground, Sveinn stepped over the dead body, pulling his sword from his victim's back.

"Hey, Lìfa! When we are done here, you owe me a big drinking horn of mead!" The tall, blue-eyed blonde boy laughed at her, trying to hide the fear shining from his eyes as he moved on to the next enemy.

"Come on, that's all you can think of? What the hell happened? Why are they here?" She shouted back while smashing another warrior's skull with her axe. Her pride would never let her show it, but she was grateful for her friend stepping in. With one working arm left, she wouldn't have lasted long against this giant troll in full armour.