XV.

Lìfa laid on the ground still panting from the rush and glared at the boy beside her, eyes wide open. For a second she felt like all words got stuck in her throat, her mouth opening and closing as her feelings raced to erupt from her. Heat ran up her cheeks as the strongest emotion outran the other ones and burst out of her like an untamed hurricane.

"You just wanted to help me? And where have you been when I actually asked for your help?" she lunged at Finn, her arms flying all around him, punching the boy anywhere she could.

"Where have you been when I was left alone with that kinky bastard? And when he stabbed me with a damned knife? You know where you can stick your help!"

After taking a few hits his surprise had worn off. Finn grabbed Lìfa's arms and pinned her back to the ground, stopping her assault of rage. As he looked down, his gaze met the sharp, cold ice and reckless wildfire behind Lìfa's eyes, her eyebrows tied into a frown and her lips pressed into a thin line.

"Would you stop? I said I'm sorry!" Finn yelled back at her, slight annoyance in his tone.

Still struggling under him, Lìfa saw Finn's lips curving into a small, involuntary smile then his face falling as his eyes trailed to the still slightly bleeding wound on her hand. With a sigh he slowly let go of Lìfa's hands and sat down beside her, staring at his boots.

"I didn't want it to end like this. I saved you. I tried to be nice to you and be your ally. The least you could have said was a thank you. Instead, you just couldn't stop whining and arguing," he said with his brow furrowed, slightly shaking his head.

"So it's my fault now? Is this what you're trying to say?" came immediately the reply in a sharp, demanding tone.

"Don't even get started with this! I think it's understandable that I had enough. I just wanted to teach you a lesson, that's all," Lìfa heard his words, now rather apologetic than annoyed or angry.

She sat up beside the boy, her eyes searching for his, but Finn's gaze was fixed on the ground.

"And you thought that leaving me with that idiot would be a good idea? Don't tell me you didn't know something like that would happen! For Odin's sake, what does a creep like him do among Ingolf's men?" She started again, but now in a more calm manner. Lìfa felt the change of wind in Finn's heart and saw the regret in his green eyes. She didn't want to start another fight.

"You're right. I should've known this. Ingolf keeps Rufus to do the dirty work for him. Rockhead enjoys torturing hostages and he's quite good at it."

"Yeah, I noticed that-" Lìfa didn't finish the sentence as her eyes got caught upon a huge bird landing on a tree nearby. It settled on a lower branch, examining them with its head tilted to one side. Its feathers were black as coal and its dark, shiny eyes were staring into their souls.

Realisation hit Lìfa like an electric shock, crawling and spreading under her skin. She felt her heartbeat quickening and her throat tightening as her thoughts started into a wild race in her mind. She jumped up in an instant, never tearing her gaze from the bird. Her sudden reactions guided Finn's attention to the raven too. He slowly stood up, careful not to scare it away and stepped beside Lìfa.

"I know this bird. They are alive! I knew they must be here somewhere!" her eyes lit up with excitement, her lips pulling into a wide grin.

"What are you talking about?" Finn looked back and forth between the girl and the bird, his brows pulled together, confusion written all over his face.

Lìfa suddenly grabbed his arm and faced him, her amber eye burning with new fire.

"Do you know how to write?"