Chapter 20: Final Showdown

Olympia is tacked up, I am in my show clothes, and it is time to walk the course. As I step into the outdoor arena, I survey the multi-coloured jumps and bordering flower boxes positioned at different angles and heights. Some jumps reach above my head, but it's no surprise, since I am short.

I stand in front of the first vertical, and run my hand along the smooth top pole. I turn, and start counting how many strides I will take to the next jump. I don't find it difficult, since Olympia and I have showed so many times. I know her stride, and I know if I will need to lengthen or shorten it, depending on the situation. I count ten strides. I do the same for all the other jumps and memorise the twists and turns and where we will need lead changes.2

But I know it will not be enough. I need a strategy, I need to do something no one else will even think off. I need to win. I look for places where I can cut corners, after thinking off a couple, i'm still not satisfied. My eyes skirt over the course and then stop at a flower assortment. It is obvious that riders are meant to go around it to the next jump, not through the fairly narrow gap in between the flowers and one of the other jumps. But that's exactly what I plan on doing. It will save us some time for sure.

*********************************************************

Olympia and I leap the warm up jump one more time. The pole is white and red. Red. Red like the first place ribbon that will be hanging on Olympia's stall when we win. I'm going first. No one to watch. I breathe in, and I breathe out. Alex and Cilia are also warming up. I give them tight smiles as I pass them at a walk, heading for the starting box.

I smoothen out a wrinkle on my black show jacket, admiring how the sun catches the golden buttons. My beige breeches are thin and comfortable, not too hot in the summer sun.

"Well," I say, stroking Olympia's neck, "There's no one here to give us a pep talk, so I might as well." I sigh, listening to the silence that Olympia's hoofbeats will soon fill. "We got this. You and me, we know show jumping." I keep petting her, feeling the small knot of nerves untangling inside of me, calming me. "Today, we aren't here just to pass, which we can do all too easily anyway." I laugh, and hear Olympia snort, as to agree. "Today we have to win, okay? And we are winners, so let's do this."

I inhale, petting Olympia and exhale slowly, straightening up in the saddle and shortening the reins, leather catching the sun.

"Alina Briar, riding Olympia Gold."

"We've got this." My voice is almost inaudible, but I see Olympia's ears flick and I know she understands me. With that, we enter at a trot, Olympia pulls at the bit and I release her into a canter. Olympia takes off eagerly, her energy mirroring mine. She wants to win, just like I do. Straight for the first jump, no circles today. I collect Olympia's canter as we approach the blue and white vertical, sitting deeply into the saddle with each stride. Three, two, one, up! Perfect. We clear it and head for the second jump, a taller vertical, with orange, white and purple stripes.

I half halt, and press my legs to Olympia's sides, allowing the mare to speed up. She launches into air, almost as if she was a bird, sometimes I think she has to be, the way she flies over the jumps. I lean into two-point, in complete harmony with her.

We land, with more than enough room to spare and I smile. Adrenaline rushes through me, and I am even more determined to win, craving victory.

I'm careful to hold Olympia through the tight corner, releasing her only a couple strides before the oxer. It's risky and I bite my lip as Olympia snaps her front legs underneath her and I lean into jumping position, tightening every muscle as she twists in the air, and leaning back as she lands, at an angle, saving us a couple seconds. I listen for a pole to clatter but it doesn't. Heck yeah! Three jumps down.