Staking Claim

Steve was ever the gentleman as he walked you into the gala and you almost felt as though he was actually your date vs your detail. In reality, he was neither. You didn't really have a title for him to be honest, nor you to him and that irked you. The thought that he would call you his and press you to his side made you feel safe and your felt desire set alight from within and it was immediately distracting you from the task at hand. You made your way around the room and he knew the big players and played nice and charmed his way in with the wives and surprisingly even the husbands and you instantly knew why they were interested in him, it caused you concern.

Charlie had told you of an underground fight club years ago that the men had favored and you had a thought that with his build and frame he would be invited to attend as a fighter by one of you husbands superiors. It was only a matter of time at this point and Steve wouldn't be given a choice to decline. You needed to forewarn Steve so he wasn't blindsided by the request because you knew it would be very strong if not forced one.

"Dance with me?" His brows pinched together but you weren't sure if it was due to the request or the way your voice sounded at the appeal of it. Unsure and unsteady of yourself and the possibility that he would say no, you felt your hand tremble. "Of course." He took your hand and led you to the floor with a few people sparing glances your way with a few expressive smiles then nothing more.

He put a firm hand on your waist and took your hand in his other large calloused one. Your other hand found his muscular shoulder and he began the waltz so effortlessly that you had to bite the inside of your lip and pray that you weren't blushing. Just when you got a handle on your coloring he leaned in and asked if you were indeed ok.

"I just wanted to get aside to talk to you away from prying ears." He quirked that damn brow of his and you bit your lip and you could've sworn he blushed. "I'm all ears, doll." You nodded but then he gracefully spun you and when you returned he pulled you closer than before. You decided to be blunt because any more time with this man was going to leave you in a fluttering mess before all of the HYRDA high society.

"They have a fight club that's underground and I've noticed that the men seem rather fond of you. I think that they may request that you attend as a competitor." He looked stunned momentarily but quickly recovered as per his fashion. "Understood. What happens if one declines?" You shook your head. "I don't know but I don't its positive. We need to find Charlie. I saw him earlier of to the side exit by the back booths. After this dance, we should go over there." He agreed and just as the song ended and dipped you slightly and smiled. "Couldn't resist. You look like a dame who hasn't been dipped in a while." He said with a chuckle and you smiled back. "I'm a girl who hasn't had many a thing in a while." He nearly tripped at your teasing but then found his footing and remained by your side.

You walked up to a relaxed Charlie and he gave you his lazy smile. "Y/N honey." He dragged out your name and hugged you close to his bulking frame. You inwardly chuckled at even with how large Charlie and Henry were they had nothing on Steve.

"How are you darlin." You shrugged. "Same old. Same old." He frowned looking down at you. "Fraid you'd say that. Anything I can do to help?" The way he said it with such intensity you knew he was the same Charlie as always. He would do anything to help you get out and this was the time that you would actually use it. "Actually yea. I'd like for you to meet Steve. He's trying to help me." Charlies eyes shot to Steve for a moment and narrowed taking in all of him and Steve allowed him to scrutinize everything. He needed his help and anything that would help him get you out of here he would agree to. Even if it meant doing the fight club or taking out the measuring sticks with Charlie if it came to it.