thirty five ➸ rogers

cafe

you smiled at the older man as you gave him the tray with the things that he ordered. two regular coffees and two cinnamon buns. the mugs were vintage, and so was the plates, and everything else in the little cafe you worked in. it was small and very cozy. he smiled back and went to a table by the window where his wife waited for him. you smiled at the old couple before you decided to water the many plants scattered over the place. you grabbed the vintage watering can and did just that, watered the plants. just as you were done the familiar ding was herd from the door. you turned around and smiled warmly at the man walking into the cafe. he smiled back and walked towards the counter. you recognised him of course, it was steve rogers, captain america. but you decided not to say.

"what can I get for you sir?" you asked and smiled.

"just a regular coffee please." He answered. you nodded and grabbed one of the vintage cups, filling it with coffee from the coffee kettle. you smiled and gave it to him.

"3 dollars please" you said and he gave you three dollar bills. you took the money, touching his hand slightly, feeling the warmth of his skin. you blushed lightly before you thanked him. he smiled and nodded before he turned around, sitting by the table not far away from the counter.

you began doing the dishes, washing the plates, utensils and mugs by hand before drying them of with a towel. you placed the plates and mugs where they were supposed to be before placing the utensils in the wooden boxes next to the salt, pepper, sugar and napkins. you walked back to the counter, taking some more orders. a few hours later it was closing time, only steve and an old lady were left. you helped the lady out of the cafe and turned to steve with a smile on your lips.

"i'm sorry to interrupt you, but it's closing time" you said gently, making him look up from the book he was writing or drawing in. he smiled and packed his things, giving you his cup. you went to wash it but when you turned, he was still standing by his table. "do you wish for something sir?" you asked him, a smile still playing on your lips.

"uh um well, i was wondering if i could walk you home?" he asked while scratching the back of his head, neck and ears reddening. you blushed before answering.

"sure, just let me change real quick" you said before turning and walking into the back room of the cafe. you removed your apron, revealing your light brown dress with small light pink roses covering the soft fabric. the dress were loose around your legs and hips but got tighter by the middle of your waist. it had thin spaghetti straps and went to the middle of your calfs. you grabbed your coat of a hook and hung your apron there before walking out, your vintage sandals clicking against the dark wooden floor. as promised, steve was waiting for you by the door. you smiled and removed the clip holding your hair into its bun and let your h/c locks loose over your back. you took out the little golden key from the inside of your dress, you were keeping it in a small chain around your neck, and locked the wooden door after putting on the alarm, letting the lights stay on inside the large windows. you and steve walked side by side all the way to your small apartment, clicking almost immediately. you switched numbers and agreed to meet again. you both had a smile on your face the rest of the night.

°