Chapter 3: Backup Plan

Some eyes were on me, but most of them turned towards Nick, who kept his gaze steadily on me. Never have we spoken of it ever since it happened. I knew the thought was a painful one, but there was nothing to avoid it.

My parents death was very difficult to go through, it was. Long and hard months came afterwards, when I’d only been aloud 3 days off. I had so much coming this year, I didn’t want to be holding on to my parents’ death and risk missing any chance I could have to my dreams. Some days are worse than others but it was simply an adjustement.

The silence was becoming more awkward, and I decided to break it, still looking over at Sid. “Anyways, after that, I simply stayed home, and I went to normal school every day again, continued my training a little.”

“That must have been hell.” Taylor said.

I chuckled, and shrugged. “A little, but whatever. I still need to graduate if I want an education.”

“Who needs school, especially you? You could go anywhere with the talent you’ve got, I mean being the first girl in the NHL sounds about right to me.” Taylor said.

I smiled at her, “That’s sweet, but it’s only your opinion.”

“I’m with Taylor on this one. I’d definitely love to see a girl in the NHL, not only is it inspiring for other people but I think if someone could do it, it’d be you.” Sid said and I smiled at him.

I had only seen him a few times, but apparently he’d seen me play before. I don’t know why I was so surprised but I just was. I smiled at him. “Thank you.”

“You work day and night for this, and you know I’m not exaggerating.” Taylor said and I smiled at those old memories.

“Yeah. I’m glad I’m finally here though.” I looked around me.

Taylor rested a hand on my shoulder and looked me in the eyes. “Enjoy it, cuz you really deserve all of this.”

I smiled at her, “Thanks.”

She looked back at Sid, “Well, we’ll get going. I’ll see you at your practice later.”

They both headed in a different direction while I stared after them. Taylor was a few years younger than me, but she was the best goaltender I’d seen at that school. She worked as hard as me. Maybe that’s why we became such great friends instantly.

“You never told me much about your experience at Shattuck St-Mary’s school.” Nick said.

“You’ve never been around for me to tell you.” I said, looking back at him.

After our parents died, I stayed around home and he only came back for a week until he went back to Chicago. Although, I loved to believe that my brother and I were as close as we seemed, in reality we were two completely different people with different lives. We only talked on the phone a few times every month, after he left.

We started walking towards the exit, and Nick looked at me. “Well, I’m here now.”

“I know.” I smiled. “But there’s nothing to tell. The only thing I did at that school was play hockey, literally every night and day.”

“You could go in more detail.”

“About what?” I grinned at him.

“I know there was a guy.” He said. “There’s always a guy.”