Chapter 9: Old Memories

CHAPTER 9. OLD MEMORIES

October 2006, London

We both played in the OHL, my brother and I of course, both of us on the same team. For most people, the sight of a girl on a boy’s hockey team was probably very intriguing. And it certainly was for one of the boys on the opposing team, his eyes seem to always meet mine, always trying to psyche me out during the game, it was quite funny actually.

But that was until I scored on his goalie, then he became a bit angry but not enough to start yelling at me or trash talking me. He seemed like a gentlemen, but how were you suppose to tell on the ice. The behaviour of one person on the ice and off the ice can be two completely different things.

“Look at him, he can’t take his eyes off of you.” My brother Nick noticed, not exactly acting like his overprotective self.

“Nah. If anything, he’s trying to psyche me out and it’s not working.” I grinned and sat down on the bench.

After the game, I was the first one changed and ready to leave. I waved goodbye to the boys, and Nick told me that he would catch up to me later. He was after all my ride and so I would do nothing for probably half-an hour to an hour.

But as soon as I left the changing room, a boy suddenly came into my vision. He was the exact same boy that I saw repeatedly staring at me for no reason on the ice. I stared at him, leaning against the wall in front of me.

I walked up to him because he was still staring, “Is there something I can help you with?”

“Do you actually change in there, with other guys?” He asked, not exactly rudely but more curiously.

“No, I have my own room where I change. They do their thing and I do mine. When the coach needs to speak to us, I’m with them. That’s it.” I smiled. “And besides that isn’t your business.”

He grinned at me. “You’re really good. At first, I thought they only brought in a girl so we’d go easier on your team.”

“That’s pathetic. And at the same time exactly what we wanted you to think.” I said. “People always underestimate me before they’ve actually seen me play.”

“Well, I sure as hell won’t do that again because it cost us a game.” He didn’t seem that angry about it, though.

I went closer to him. “Do what?”

“Try to make you lose your mind when you’re playing. It obviously didn’t work.” He grinned.

“No, it didn’t. It was actually kind of weird.”

His smile remained on his face as he looked down at me. “I’d like to see you again. Can I ask your name?”

“Rosaline, mais je doute fort que vous pouvez le prononcer.” I said to him.

He frowned in confusion, yet still smiling. “I didn’t get any of that.”

I stretched out my hand in front of me, and smiled, “Just call me Rose.”

“So that’s French? Rose?” He asked, while shaking my hand.

I nodded, and pulled away.