Chapter 30: Morning Memories

CHAPTER 30: Morning Memories

I got up early in the morning, realizing that I’d never slept this well in weeks. Just being surrounded by people that I knew loved me made me feel so much more at peace. It was too early on a Monday morning for everyone to be up, and I simply walked across the hall to the living room and sat down against the couch.

I took in a deep breath, and simply took it all in. It was all over, everything was. Every good thing had to come to an end eventually. And maybe it wasn’t all bad, I know what I learned. I knew exactly what I had lost, and what I was still fortunate to have.

“So getting an education suddenly turns into a bad idea?” I asked Nick, shocked.

“What made you even send a recommendation, I thought you wanted to play hockey?” Nick asked.

 “It’s still is my number one priority, I’ve just been keeping my options open.” I said, looking down. “It’s exactly what mom would’ve wanted.”

I could tell that caught him off guard, but he swallowed and continued on. “Why? Just tell me why the change of heart so suddenly?”

I snorted. “You know exactly why I need this backup plan, Nick. Don’t act stupid.”

Maybe, Nick chose to ignore that we were at risk of heart disease but I was not letting that thought go. It was too hard, considering I was the one more at stake. Why was it so hard for him to understand that I needed an education if I ever couldn’t play hockey anymore?

Kaner understood everything, John understood when I explained it to him. My coach wasn’t the most understanding person, and wasn’t the very smartest person to approach me to talk about it. Very very stupid, if you ask me.

“Your father was a really good man.” He said, finally looking me in the eyes. “He was a lucky man to be able to play hockey… and he knew it.”

“I know how he died. I’m not sure I want to have this conversation.” I said.

“Please, hear me out.” He said, and I nodded. “Your father died where he would’ve wanted to… but he took a risk and from what I’ve seen you do these last few weeks, kind of resembles the way your father was in his last months.”

I got to my feet, unable to believe what I was hearing. “I need to go.”

“Rose, stop!” He shouted, angrily. He took a deep breath and I paused just before leaving through the exit. “You’re the greatest player I’ve ever seen but I don’t want to see what happened to your father happen to you.”

I don’t think I will ever forget what he had said to me that day, but I couldn’t keep thinking back at the worst memories of the Olympics. I did spend time with my teammates, and had some real fun. Maybe a bit too much fun.

I was so drunk at the end of the night, I was barely conscious of what was happening around me. I tripped over my feet as I went towards the bar, but I couldn’t drink anymore. I simply sat on a stool and felt my head pounding against my skull. All I was aware of was that the room was spinning.