Chapter 11: Message

CHAPTER 11: Message 

Nick was flown back home the next day to live with aunt Jess for the next 2 weeks, he was kicked off the roster without a doubt because of the incident with another player on his team, and he accepted to lay low for the next 2 weeks. Before leaving, he argued that he wanted to stay to encourage me, but I knew that that would just kill him, always seeing his teammates running around the arena and he couldn’t even play with them. I told him that if I reached the golden game, that he could fly back but that being the only exception.

As I saw him leave through the airport gate, I felt a horrible feeling in my stomach. I was all alone now. So much for living the Olympic experience with my brother. Ah well, at least now I had one less thing to worry about. I could be sure this way he would be okay. I had more hope for him than for myself.

I pulled my hood over my head and headed out of the airport.

*********

“Hey there, where have you been?” My roommate Rebecca asked me as I arrived on our floor of the hotel and stepped through our apartment, so exhausted. It was almost past midnight. What a long day, we had also won our second game today, and I’d played much better than the last time, scoring 5 more points. So far, I was making a good impression on the NHL. I couldn’t say anything yet though.

I looked at Rebecca, “don’t even ask. I’m so exhausted, I really just want to sleep.”

She laughed, “What happened to your brother? I heard he got cut out of the roster.”

“Yeah, he’s on his way back home. Oh, I have to go see John before I forget.” I ran back out the door, and towards the stairs. I still had no idea where his room was. Maybe I could ask the front desk if they knew. I had to pass on a message to him from Nick.

I arrived in the lobby quickly enough and it was easy enough to recognize a few of the players on the Canadian team arriving through the front door. Most of them stared at me, still remembering what happened the other day, and I wanted to laugh. Thinking back at the things I’ve done sometimes, I could laugh for hours. Although, John wasn’t among any of them.

“Hey,” I looked at one of them I hadn’t really talked to before but I knew his name, he probably didn’t know mine though. “I’m sorry, you probably don’t know me but I’m looking for John, is he with you guys?”

He looked around him, “I think him and Sid stayed at the arena.”

“Okay, thanks. My names Rosaline Williams, by the way.” I stretched out my hand.

He smiled, shaking my hand. “Yeah, I know. I’m Eric. It’s nice to meet you. I saw your game today, your something pretty special on the ice there. I mean, 5 goals in a game is very impressive.”

I giggled, yes I had scored 5 goals in a 10-0 victory. “Thank you, I appreciate that.”

Eric Staal, of course. I heard of his name, never had I seen him before though, he was quite pretty. He looked in front then back at me, “I’ll see you around.”

“Good luck on the game tomorrow, you guys are gonna be awesome. I can’t wait to see.” I smiled at him.

He smiled back, “Thank you.”

He turned back around and I looked at him go. Well, that was nice. I turned back towards the exit and headed once again towards the arena, trying to understand what John could be doing there at such a late hour, especially with their game tomorrow.