Seven

"What? I thought we're passed this, Isla."

Napabuntong-hininga si Trinity dahil hindi ginagawang madali ni Steven ito. He just came home from his "trip". After her last class, she was surprised that he pulled her in and dragged her to one of their secret places – the empty storage room.

"Isla.." malambing na tawag nito sakanya nang maabot ang braso niya at haplusin iyon ng dahan-dahan.

Kung iba lang sana ang sitwasyon, baka bumigay na siya pero iba ngayon, may ibang involved.

"I said let's stop this secret affair."

Napangiti si Steven. "I see. You want us to be public? I would love that –"

"No. I want us to stop seeing each other. We're done. Whatever this is, I'm done, Steven."

Unti-unting nawala ang ngiti sa mga labi ni Steven. Nagsalubong ang mga kilay nito. "Why?"

She held her chin up and smirked. She crossed her arms as she leaned on the wall, trying to act cool when in fact she's scared to death. "I know your secret. I'm done being a pawn in your game, Steven. Do you think I'm stupid enough to not know you're cheating on your girlfriend with me?"

Mas lalong naningkit ang mga mata ni Steven at nagsalubong ang mga kilay nito pero hindi nakaligtas sakanya ang paglunok nito na tila ba ito rin ay kinakabahan. "What are you saying – "

"Stop lying! I saw you two kissed at the balcony of a charity dinner the other night. I'm not blind, Steven," putol niya sa dapat na sasabihin ng lalaki.

Nagbuga ng hininga si Steven at napasandal nalang din sa pader at napayuko. Sandaling katahimikan ang namayani sakanilang dalawa hanggang sa ito na ang unang nagsalita. "Rebecca and I have to pretend we're in a relationship in front of our parents. Her father wants us to be together and... believe me I said no when she asked me to pretend but when Becca cried in front of me, telling me her father is sick and she just wants tito to be happy, I don't know.. I just found myself nodding."

She scoffed. "That didn't stopped you from kissing her."

"She kissed me! I guessed you didn't stayed longer for you to see that I pushed her."

"Doesn't matter."

Malakas ulit na bumuntong hininga si Steven. He looked at her with his pleading eyes, his face looks hurt and suddenly she felt like she wants to kiss him but she knows it's not right anymore. Kahit na sabihin na nagpapanggap lang ito at si Rebeca, it doesn't change the fact that they're together in the eyes of the public. Siya pa rin ang lalabas na kabit.

"Isla, I was not lying when I told you I like you very much. And here I thought that my actions would hint you how I feel about you.."

"Steven –"

"I like you very much. Tapos na kami ni Rebecca. That kiss you saw? It was nothing! Ikaw lang ang gusto kong halikan. I'm sorry that I hid this from you, I thought.. I was protecting you from getting hurt but I guess I'm wrong."

She stayed silent. Hindi dahil sa wala siyang masabi, kundi dahil sa nag-iisip siya ng malalim. She loves Steven, that's a given fact that she can't just throw away. Kahit pa nagsinungaling ito sakanya, hindi pa rin nagbabago ang nararamdaman niya sa lalaki. She's never been inlove before, and ganito pala iyong feeling. She's happy when she's with Steven, she's contented kahit na hindi sila nagdedate sa public, she's happy just by stealing glances at each other so no one would notice, she's happy even if they need to hide from the public. She's happy that she can be her goofy self when she's with Steven. Being with Steven made her have something that she can finally call her 'own'. Walang ibang tao ang pupuna, and most importantly, no shadows of her parents and their reputation.