Chapter 12

"Sometimes, you have to walk away. You have to look at the things you're giving energy to and realize that even though you could stay, and try to win their approval or try to make it up their ladder, you could also make the brave choice and take whatever energy you have left to a space that welcomes you. It's never an easy decision to make, and it's never easy to accept that you might be walking down a path that will involve risks and new unknowns, but there are times in life where walking away is the best thing to do for your health, and who you are becoming. Even if it means people will change their opinions of you . . . opinions of you are not even rooted in truth. You may still need to walk away, trusting there is so much more ahead of you."  -Morgan Harper Nichols

♥♥♥

♪Listening suggestion: You Don't Know Me by Ariana Grande

----------

(Y/N)'s POV

     I just sat there, stunned. Subtly I sneaked my notebook into my backpack, which rested upright against my chair. There's no way she can see this...

     Kaito looked back and forth, from Taega to me. He scratched his head. "Do you two know eachother?"

     I kept silent. I was afraid something would shoot out of my mouth that I'd regret.

     "I'm new to (annoying nickname)'s class!" Taega chirped. "Today was my first day, and I met so many of her friends!"

     More like barged in. . . my mind sulked.

     "Ah, I didn't know that. Well that's great! It's nice to know you have a classmate in the same boat." Kaito was so clueless, I almost felt embarrassed for him.

     Nachika eyed me sharply, not in a chastening way, but more with sympathy. I was so glad that she knew.

     "Taega's just been transferred here from Yokohama," Kaito explained. "She came from an agency over there but has come to our squad to replace Riku. She's highly trained just like the rest of us, and specializes in advanced weaponry." Turning to her, he added, "hope we make you feel at home."

     She gave him a toothy grin. "I'm sure you all will."

     Kaito brought her luggage in, then said he had to finish up some business around the facility. He left us three girls, closing the door.

     "So, Chika, is it?" Taega sunk down on her bed, which used to be Riku's. "I'm really sorry I had to replace your boyfriend. Kaito told me you were a little sensitive about it."

     "No, it's fine." I could tell that Nachika was mildly irked. "And it's Nachika. 'Chika' is what Riku calls me."

     "Oh, I'm dreadfully sorry." Taega's eyes shifted suddenly to me. "You okay, (annoying nickname)? You haven't said much."

     "It's (Y/N), and I'm fine. I'm just not one for talking." I got onto my bed which was near the desk and curled into a tight ball. It was the only way to keep my emotions inside. I've only just met her today, but already everything about her reminds me of how. . . Shoto might fall in love with someone else.

     Nachika stroked my shoulder, then turned to Taega. "She's fine, earlier she just ate a suspicious piece of chicken. She's been complaining ever since she got home."

     Taega shrugged. "Well, hope she feels better." She immediately turned to her bags and unpacked her things.