Chapter 48

"I don't know how not to think of you and feel an ache in my chest. Every sad song I listen to seems to be about the way we are now and the distance between us - and every happy song reminds me of how we used to be and how close we once were."  - Ranata Suzuki

♥♥♥

♪Listening suggestion: Empty Streets by Late Night Alumni

----------

The next evening, (Y/N)'s POV

     It was hard to get away from the agency at such a late hour, and it was hard to convince Kaito and Nachika to let me go alone. They were confused and said I was acting strange, but eventually they stopped asking questions and let me go. I felt rotten for keeping a secret from them but I was afraid of what they would say, or how they would feel, when they realized I was eventually going to try leaving and I wasn't taking them with me. I knew they wanted to escape the hellhole headquarters as much as I did.

     It broke my heart thinking about them. That's why I made a promise to myself that if I got out, I was going to return and jailbreak not only the imprisoned heroes, but also Kaito, Nachika, Riku, and perhaps even Taega. I never left anyone behind.

     But now, it was cold. I never realized how fast winter was settling in until now. My breath escaped my lungs as a foggy mist, and the snow that began falling was settling on my eyelashes. I found myself shivering after a while.

     I looked around at the dark city. I hated being here alone in this dangerous place, waiting for someone that had been a stranger to me for the last month. Except for the episode at the gym yesterday, Shoto hadn't said anything to my face this entire time, not I him. I was worried it would be awkward . . . like extremely awkward, and more uncomfortable than I'd be able to bear. The only thing that kept me standing here was the hope that he'd be able to help me.

     I thought of how I'd cried last night after sending the last honest text, the one where I'd suddenly poured my feelings out to him, followed by an enormous wave of regret. I wondered if he'd even read it, or what he thought about it if he did. Does he still love me? Did he believe me when I told him that there was no one else for me but him?

     There was a gale of wind that blew harshly in my face, along with an extra rush of snow. It stung, and almost convinced me to leave when I heard soft footsteps.

     I turned, and saw a familiar 5'9 frame striding toward me. His head was down, giving  me a good view of his binary-colored hair.

     My heart went insane. I couldn't hear anything but it rapid and percussive pounding in my ears. Honestly, I wasn't sure if he'd come, but now that he did I was going to be at a loss. What should I do? What should I say?

     Hi Shoto . . . I wanted to say, but then I couldn't bring myself to make eye contact when he eventually looked up. Instead, I only looked down too.

Shoto's POV

     I hadn't seen her or talked to her in so long, that it was awkward for me to even meet her gaze. I just stared at my shoes as I kept walking, placing one foot in front of the other until I knew I was standing right before her.

     Slowly, I looked up only to see that she wasn't looking at me either. Her solemn gaze was fixed on the ground, just as mine had been.

     Hi (Y/N) . . . I wanted to say. There was so much I wanted to say, more than I'd ever let my emotions show. I was sick of us being separated, and I was sick of this tension between us. But the other side of me, the side I considered to be the wiser, told me that it was all punishment for trusting someone so freely and deeply. Maybe I'd hurt her, but she'd also hurt me, and that was enough for me to wake up and walk away.