12. Please Let Me Life

"What's it?" Jack asked worriedly, causing the Time Lord to turn to him with a shocked look.

"Jack, Donna's mind is burning." He finally told the Immortal seriously after a few moments of silence.

Martha and Mickey entered the console room just as he had said that.

"What's going on?" Martha asked the men.

The Doctor turned to her still shocked by the news. "Donna's mind is burning." He stated softly.

He had explained to everyone who could accidentally trigger her memories what had happened and what would happen if she remembered, so all of his friends knew what that meant.

"Right, okay, what do we do now?" Martha asked calmly, needing the Time Lord to keep calm as well.

The Doctor thought only for a small moment before asking.

"We need to get to her as soon as possible," He glanced at Jack, who knew the basics of driving the TARDIS, the immortal nodded and quickly got to work, doing the things he knew how to do, allowing the Time Lord a bit more time to think over his plan. "Then I'll need to assess the damage to Donna's brain, depending on that I can act. Although, there is a way that should fix the problem once and for all." He frowned in thinking

"A way to get her back to normal?." Jack asked.

"To get her brain stabilized and able to handle the Metacrisis? Yes. Will she be the same as she used to be? No, she'll never be human again. It's also not guaranteed it will work." The Doctor answered, then frowned looking at his casted arms. "I'm gonna need my hands to do it, though. Both for assessing the damage, and applying the fix."

"Your arms aren't healed yet, allowing you to use them could make them heal slower." Martha frowned.

"And if I can't use them Donna will certainly die." The Time Lord answered seriously. "It's a price I'm willing to take."

"Wait to hang on! If there is a solution then why didn't you use it earlier." Mickey butted in, with an accusing tone. The Time Lord frowned at him before answering.

"I'm gonna use my regeneration energy to stabilize her. The first time Donna's mind was burning, I had just regenerated, meaning my energy was unstable, for my plan to work I need it to be stable so I couldn't do that. This plan also isn't risk-free, it will leave me weak and, like I just said, it's not guaranteed to work. I decided it wasn't worth trying if she was fine without the memories." He shrugged.

"Okay, just how much damage can this do to you?" Martha shrugged.

The Time Lord shrugged once again. "It's a bit difficult to guess, nothing like this has been done before."

"Could this endanger your own life?" Martha wondered.

"I'd say there's a small chance that it will yeah." The Doctor admitted. " again, I'm willing to take that risk. Donna's mind can only handle a certain amount of stress caused by the Metacrisis." He sighed. "The chances of it going wrong again are huge, if I can repair it now in the same way I did, the next time I might not be able to do so and the more often it happens the less time I'll have to fix it. Besides, there isn't more risk than there is during my travels." He added meekly. "Also, Donna\s important, she should have a chance to get herself back."

"Okay, fine, Jack you have a knife on you, right? I am going to need it to cut his casts off his arms." Martha caved in, knowing that he was set on doing it.

Jack nodded and handed over the knife to Martha. "All nice and such that we talked this through properly, or well that you two talked this through and that Mickey and I just listened. But shouldn't we get a move on?" Jack wondered.