Chapter Eight

Chapter Eight

On Monday at school, during 2nd period AP Economics class with Jacob, I started thinking about what Melanie had told me. Should I step up to him and tell him something or I shouldn’t? If there was a way I’d be able to help her, then I would because she’s a wonderful friend and he’s my best friend, and it’d be beautiful to see them together.

“Hey Jacob, how was your weekend?”

“It was alright and yours?”

“It was quite fun. How’s your girlfriend Kathi?”

He seemed unsure as he gave a sad smile, “We’re not together anymore.”

Well, that was unexpected; I had just met her during winter break. Unfortunately, this also showed how I wasn't up-to-date with my own best friend. Anyways, this gave me the chance to ask him if he was interested in anybody else...like Melanie.

“What happened? It seemed to me like both of you were happy.”

          "Well, I wasn't actually having a good time with her, I didn't feel like myself. It's just that..." he paused and but his face in between his hands.

          "What?"

          "I've always had feelings for Melanie."

          I smiled once I heard his confession. It was like he had read my mind.

         "She's beautiful, smart, and so caring, what else can I ask for but then I know that I’m not the guy for her.”

Oh no, why would he say that?

“Have you ever tried talking to her about your feelings? You can’t just go around thinking you’re not good enough for her.”

“Well, actually, yes I’ve tried but everytime I get close to her, she just walks away.”

Well, that’s weird.

“Try again, you know she’s very shy and to be honest, when we went dress shopping, she told Vivian and me that she's always liked you but she also thought she wasn't the one for you especially when you introduced us to your girlfriend."

     He anxiously covered his face with both hands, "Are you serious? Is all this true?"

    With an assuring smile I told him, "Yes, maybe you should tell her now before it gets too late."

     His eyes sparkled and he hugged me. I got so happy to see that he might actually accomplish what he's wanted.

      Later that day, after school, I saw Jacob and Melanie talking together with the biggest smiles on their faces. Vivian saw them too, and like me, she was glad of what we were witnessing.

"So do you think they'll he'll ask her out and go to prom together?" Vivian asked me in the car on our way to her house.

“I’m pretty sure he will. He’s crazy about her and we already know that she’s crazy for him as well.”

“True that!”

I dropped her off at her house and then drove straight home. Mom was cooking in the kitchen, my little brother Nathan was in his room playing, and my stepdad was at work. I went up to my room to start some homework and that’s when my phone rang. It’s Nick!

“Hey babe! How are you?” I answered with such excitement.

“I’m doing great, how about you? How was school today?”

“It was actually wonderful! Guess who’s romance is starting to spark?”

“Jacob’s and Melanie’s!”

“No way? Well, about time he mans up to take action! How did it all start?”

I told him the whole story and didn’t realize we stood talking for about four hours. I never wanted to end our conversations but I had homework to finish.

“Nick, I have to go. It’s going to be little Nathan’s birthday next weekend? Will you be coming that weekend since you're not coming this one?”

He stood quiet for a while as if he were thinking about it but he then answered with a yes. We ended with “I love you” and I went on to do homework.

The weekend came along and my mom, Nathan, and I went shopping for his birthday party coming this next weekend. He was only going to turn five but he was going to have a great party with our closest family members and friends in our backyard. I was happy all of Nick’s cousins and his aunt and uncle were going to attend the party.

We bought all of his Transformers themed party supplies and we then went over to Olive Garden where dad met us to eat. During dinner time, I received a text message from Nick.

                                    Nick: Hey babygirl, how’s everything? I miss you.

                                                                                                        Feb, Sat. 28,6:34 p.m

        I smiled.

                                   Me: Hi babe! Everything’s great! How’s everything up there?

                                                                                                       Feb, Sat. 28, 6:36 p.m

                                 Nick: Everything’s fine! I’m actually happy semester is almost over and I can’t wait to see you next weekend!

                                                                                                       Feb, Sat. 28, 6:39 p.m

              Me: Your aunt, uncle, and cousins are all coming over for Nathan’s party                                                                 (:

                                                                                                      Feb, Sat. 28, 6:45 p.m

                              Nick: That’s great! Little Nathan is going to have a lot of fun! I was thinking if maybe you’d want to go out on Sunday to the movies?

                                                                                                     Feb, Sat. 28, 6:47 p.m

                            Me: With you, anytime (: <3

                                                                                                   Feb, Sat. 28, 6:48 p.m

                          Nick: kayy, I’ll text you later. I’m very anxious for next weekend to come. I love you.

                                                                                                 Feb, Sat. 28, 6:51 p.m

                         Me: Laters! I love you too.

                                                                                                 Feb, Sat. 28, 6:53 p.m

        And with that, I was left with the desperate need for the weekend to come.

Hey readers! Please vote/comment! Really need your opinions! <3