Chapter Thirteen

IMPORTANT-PLEASE READ:

~My brother (who is 3) is currently in hospital with a fractured femur bone. He's going to be there for about three weeks at the minimum so I'm really worried about him slightly distracted when it comes to writing, but hopefully it shouldn't affect it or updates too badly. 

I just wanted to let you know in case I start slacking or I don't update as often as I do, but it's going to be hectic and stressful for a few weeks, especially when my other brother (who is 13) and I are going to be on our own a lot and I need to look after him and do a lot of house chores. 

I hope you understand the situation we're currently in, but it won't stop me from writing. 

Newt almost choked on his own spit.  He was struck by the question, forced into silence for a minute. His body stiffened, his grip on Thomas' hand becoming stronger. He immediately pulled it away, feeling a heat bubbling in his fingers. He placed his hands in his lap, trying not to lose control of his magic. 

He would be in deep trouble if he did that in public. 

Newt noticed Thomas shaking his head, beginning to stand up, but he was too frozen to move. So, as Thomas went back to work, Newt only sat there, watching the boy disappear without so much as a goodbye. Clearly, he was avoiding eye contact, too ashamed to even look in his direction. 

Minho, on the other hand, eyed Newt up, unsure of what happened or who caused the dispute. The thing was, Newt had never spent Christmas with anyone apart from his mum and Sonya at Auntie Christine's house with the whole of the family over.

He was used to his younger cousins forcing him to draw with them, and arguing over who sat where at the table. He couldn't imagine not eating his grandmothers turkey with homemade stuffing in the middle. Even though the whole day was chaotic, it was Christmas to him.

Shit, Newt thought, what do I do? Do I grow up and make my own decisions or do I follow my mothers orders as usual?

Deciding the latter was an excuse for saving himself from instant death, he put more thought into it. He would be spending Christmas with Thomas and Teresa, and with their parents who he had never met, but he imagined them to be just as nice as said siblings. 

Newt pushed himself out of the chair, his body feeling heavy, and walked towards the counter where Thomas was cleaning up. Before he could answer his question, the brunette rushed to face him, opening his mouth to speak.

"I'm sorry, Newt, I knew it was a risk to ask you, especially when you barely know my family, but I thought it would be a kind gesture because Teresa is bringing her friend and-" 

"Tommy, slow down," Newt interrupted Thomas' ramble. He spoke so fast he could hardly understand anything apart from the 'sorry' and 'Teresa'. "I'm shocked, yes, because nobody's ever invited me for Christmas before."

"Oh." Thomas was unsure of what to say. He was looking anywhere but at Newt, so he lifted his chin with two fingers, and made sure their eyes connected. Newt could see the pain and fear behind them, feeling guilty about not saying something sooner.

"I would love to spend Christmas with you," he replied softly, almost like a whisper. He heard Thomas' breathing hitch, certainly not expecting that answer. He removed his hand from his face, slowly relaxing it by his side. "Just...text me what time I should pick you up at and I'll drive us."

"Yeah, of course, but..." Thomas paused again, but his eyes never left Newt's. Neither of them noticed Minho watching fondly in the background, a smile on his face. "Can you come over tonight? It's really important. I'm sorry, but I can't explain right now."