- S E V E N T H C H A N C E

Ο Ο Ο

Ο Ο Ο

7.   Wildfire

When you sold the world your soul, it turned away
And it's promise left you empty and unchanged
It breaks me now to see you hurt this way
From the dust you've been made beautiful

- by Vancouver Sleep Clinic, 2017

As the last of the life force faded from Eddie's body, all Richie could bring himself to think was:

I meant 'I love you', every time.

Ο Ο Ο

It had him right where it wanted him now.

There were three chances left, and he wouldn't last. Not with what It had planned this time around.

He would remember. And the little shit would get what he deserves.

Everything ended. Then it began again.

Time moved backwards, in reverse, spinning like a top.

Then it stopped.

And the world started spinning once more.

Ο Ο Ο

Richie's eyes fluttered opened, and he didn't move, closing them again and exhaling steadily. His heart sank in his chest, and a single tear leaked from the corner of his eye, sliding gently off of his face and hitting the mattress with a soft thud heard only by his ears.

Then his expression crumpled, and more tears followed. He pulled his knees up to his chest and buried his face into them, shoulder shaking as he cried silently. Sniffling, gasping breaths wracked his body as he sobbed, creating a puddle of dampness on his pillow. The force with which he cried began to cause his head to throb and he kept going until he had no tears left and his face was dried but his body still shook with quiet whimpers.

I am so, so tired.

He finally rolled over onto his back, rubbing his face and eyes with his hands. He sniffled a little bit and cleared his throat, staring at the ceiling. It was raining again this time. He once again tried to let the patter of raindrops against the window soothe him, but every tap just seemed to get louder and more threatening. He pressed his palms to his ears, but the sound thundered on in his head. He forced himself into a sitting position and scurried over to his suitcase, pulling out the same jeans and sweatshirt as always. He threw them on, grabbed his glasses, and pressed his ear to the door, listening, though he could hardly hear anything through the overwhelming sound of rain against his window.