Chapter 7

Not edited

____________________
___________________________

After three days of being treated like royalty, even though I was nowhere near that status, I asked if it was good enough to go. Both Alex and Delilah frowned at my words, and immensely asked why.

"Do you not like it here? Is someone treating you without respect? Tell me who." Alex almost commanded, but his mate slapped his chest, and gave me a warm smile.

"Ignore this demeaning Alpha, but please, do tell why you feel uncomfortable with us."

I sighed. "So I'll take that as a no."

"I'm sorry Eva, but not yet. There are still news going around, and Xavier is trying to fix all of it. That's why you haven't seen him for the last two days."

She winked at me, and I blushed profusely, my eyes going wide. "I'm not looking for him!" I cried out, and then placed my hands over my mouth.

Damn! I just yelled at royalties!

"Uh, Huh. Whatever you say Evangeline. But don't be embarrassed, as my mate here already approves of your choice." He gestured to Delilah, who stood next to him, propped against the chair.

"What choice?" I croaked out between my fingers.

"Of both you and Xavier! Gosh, Alex. Even though we can't have mates, I think..." she trailed off, wiggling her eyebrows at him. He smiled, shook his head, and pulled his mate into his lap.

"Can I still go outside? Or is it still of markets?" I had remembered my little two minutes of freedom a couple days ago. As soon as I had caught my breath, I was bombarded by a handful of wolves, like actual supernatural wolves, and I froze. Someone I didn't recognize rushed out from the doors I had just ran through, only to usher me back in, cursing softly to herself. Apparently, the pack that protected the palace was not informed of my staying, and they were surprised by my presence. Thank goodness the maid had heard them growling, and went outside to check what was wrong or else I would be resting in between canine teeth....

"No, they have been informed since that day. We do apologize about it Eva. You are meant to be safe and in that moment, you were almost attacked." Delilah apologized as she wrung her hands out in front of her.

I held my palms up. "No need to apologize. So, if it's all good, I will be outside if someone needs me."

They nodded and I quickly walked out, kind of remembering where I was supposed to go. Some of the hallways still looked the same to me, but I was already getting used to it; I was starting to remember small things that made me know where exactly I was at.

I walked out through different doors than I had found, and paused when I saw a few shirtless men talking a good ten feet away from the door. All three turned to face me, but instead of growling, they smiled —one waved— and then turned back to their conversations, leaving me alone.

I stood in the same spot for another minute, before I released a deep breath and began to walk to my left. I wasn't a few steps away when something caught my eyes. My steps picked up, curiosity eating me up, and a smile broke out on my face when I saw the homemade swing resting on a thick branch of one of the many trees. I bit my lip for two seconds, but my inner child won and I jumped closer to it, resting it out first with my body weight. I didn't know how long it had been there or if anyone had used it in a while, and I didn't want to risk falling down on my ass halfway up. When it didn't budge or show any indication that it would rip, I sat in the wooden seat and began to swing myself.