CHAPTER 5

Without an argument I took the right  seat and Miss. Grace sat on left side. Being the Captain for today she was taking the charge for the takeoff and landing.

I didn't bother helping her for even something as simple as guiding through the runway. She contacted the Ground Control, performed an engine run-up procedure and reached the runway by herself.

"Mr. Ford, please let me handle it this time. It's a request, please do not disturb." It was difficult to hear what she was saying but i could hear the please's and dnd's.

"You may. You may. I'm going to rest today. Since the crew knows who's the Captain for today, I've got nothing to worry about." We both didn't bother looking at each other. It still didn't seem right to address her as a Captain.

I heard her notifying the tower for a takeoff. Following the usual procedure of pushing the fuel mixture knob and advancing the throttle slowly, the RPM increased and we reached a desired speed.

5 minutes later the plane got enough lift and the nose was off the ground. Miss. Grace then pulled the yoke back and the plane was in the air.

I felt guilty for criticizing her earlier. Her confidence over the take off in our first flight seemed to have pricked me. I considered her to be a fresher and when she showed authority over a take off immediately after coming late for departure irked me.

Candice and I had seen too many ups and downs together which was one of the reasons why I could start a friendship with her. Considering my past, I couldn't make friends easily. It could be a fault in my personality too.

After a while we had reached an appropriate altitude and I saw Miss. Grace exhale satisfactorily, her stiffened back relaxed visibly and a small smile hit her lips. Her uniform was neat with a badge on her lower left sleeve. Her hair were tied in a bun today. I could see a pink shade around her cheeks.  Her eyes were enchanting even when they had bags underneath them.

'are you this jobless to stare at Miss. Grace?'

'are you checking her out?'

'Are your thoughts regarding her capabilities changing?'

"shut up!"

"Sorry?" Miss. Grace turned in my direction. Her eyebrows knitted together and eyes narrowed into a line.

"um...?" Confused with her reaction. Was I thinking too loud? Why were my guards betraying me today.

"Shut up?"

"shut up?..oh no... I said someone.... I shall ask 'someone' to give me a cup of coffee. Do you need anything?"

"No, thank you." She moved her eyes back to the controls.

I was about to walk inside when Miss. Jaffrey got me a cup of coffee and few biscuits for Miss. Grace.

" Miss. Grace, Mrs. Jaffrey has given these for you."

"So sweet of her. Thank you." She smiled beautifully.

Beautifully? Really?

We had covered more than half the journey. It was easy to coordinate with her this time. She asked me to take over for a few hours in between while she relaxed, closing her eyes and stretching back on her seat.

"What are you both wearing for the event tomorrow?" Jane, an air hostess asked us. She seemed overly dressed, it was probably the make up that made her seem so......odd? She was sitting near the cockpit with her legs crossed and her eyes moving between Miss. Grace and I.

"Event?" Miss. Grace asked her when I didn't speak.

"Its 11th April, duh." Jane rolled her eyes animatedly.