CHAPTER 10

Stars lit the sky like snow-flakes in the night, yet appeared still, like an old photograph.

George and his friends gave us sheets to spread on the ground. I took my rectangular, blue coloured sheet towards the farthest end so I wouldn't have to listen to anyone talking about anything.

Currently, sleep felt gazillion years away and the sky was so appealing that my eyes refused to blink for longer than a nanosecond.

Dad, Drake and Em are probably stressing about me and my condition after the crash. Many passengers weren't able to sleep after the tragic accident. We all needed a rehabilitation therapy before we could resume our routine work.

After some time when sleep was finally welcoming me I heard footsteps coming in my direction. I opened my eyes immediately to see Jenny staggering towards the sea.

"Are you mad or are you mad?" I didn't have any strength to walk with her.

"Are you sleep talking to yourself?"

"Why did you leave the bed? Chace asked you to rest." I shifted from a supine position to a sitting one.

"Shhhhh..." she pressed her index finger on her lips and staggered slowly towards me. She kept her hand on my shoulder and sat down next to me leaving a little space in between.

"Jenny..."

"Hmm?" Her eyes were near the sea. The waves were racing with each other to reach the shore. There was a thin line separating the sky from the sea. It looked like the curtains of universe were open and she was trying to see something beyond the sky.

"Why did you say that the air control's are not going to help us? You were so confident. I know you're still recovering and it's a devastating tragedy but- "

"You don't have to explain yourself Harry. You remember how Mike said your flight was rescheduled? Why do you think they shifted your flight?" She was sitting on my right trying to throw stones in the sea which were not even reaching a point close to the shore.

"Why?" I turned towards her but she didn't move her eyes from the sand.

"They planned this crash for me and you were never meant to be subjected to any of it. The aircraft that flew too close to our flight? The pilot knew that I would descend so there won't be a collision and when we reached a considerably low altitude the birds hit our plane" It still wasn't very clear to me. Why would they want to spoil the name of Air Canada by keeping 155 passengers' lives at risk? Also a bird strike can't be planned anyway!

"Jenny, why would they-"

"You won't understand Harry" her eyes pierced through mine and for once I felt like believing her without using any logic behind it.

"You should sleep. I'll see you tomorrow." She kept her hands on the floor to get up but they were still weak. Injuries near her elbow and arm needed time to heal.

"I will understand if you open up a little more Jenny" lifting her hand from the ground to stop her from leaving.

"Harry we're still working on our friendship. It's too early to speak anything about our lives." She kept her free hand above mine that was holding her's.

"Jennifer it isn't about our friendship or intervening in each other's life. Once we're back in Toronto we are going to be interrogated, what are you planning to tell them? That you're too new in my life to question me anything?" I couldn't help the sarcasm that slipped my tongue. I wasn't expecting my words to come out harsh but I can't let this plane crash, crash my future. I've given my days and nights to reach the position I'm at now.