Chapter 48: Sacrifice

Alex took charge. "Guys, we need to try to shapeshift into the animal forms. Penny, you use your power to shrink the fire, and maybe if I smother them— Juliette, you'll need to strengthen Penny's magic."

Penny gaped at him, pushing Mrs. Proditor from her mind. "Alex, we've only done it once before. If we do it now— what if they take over our minds again? And will we even be able to transform?"

Alex looked at her. "I don't know, but it's a risk we have to take. This fire will be all over the school soon, and who knows who will die in it?"

Juliette nodded. "We can do it."

Penny hesitated. You are braver than you know. "Okay."

She thought back to when they had last shape-shifted. That was different. I'm in control now. Penny closed her eyes. Pheonix? Are you there? Can you help me?

There was no reply from the mythical woman. Penny sighed. Ok then. Wings. Fire. Feathers. I'm a pheonix, I'm a pheonix, I'm a pheonix.

I have no clue what I'm doing.

But something was working. Tingling erupted on Penny's skin, and at a gasp from the others her eyes popped open. She could see the others, but her vision was tinted red.

"You're on fire!" Alex cried.

Oh shoot. I haven't lost control for months. C'mon, fire, go away! She wanted to turn into a Pheonix, not a ball of fire.

The red faded, but the shocked expressions her friends were wearing didn't.

"What's wrong?" Penny tried to say, but instead a strange whistle came out of her— beak?

Penny glanced down and squawked. For a moment she thought she was still on fire. Then it hit her what the red and gold adorning her body was.

Feathers.

She had become the Pheonix.

Penny gave an experimental flap of her wings. This is amazing!

She flapped again, and rose off the ground before drifting back down. Time enough to fly later.

Penny inclined her head at the others. You need to transform too!

Alex looked at her. "Do we need to shapeshift to be able to talk with you?"

Penny nodded, and Alex let out a breath.

Amazed, Penny stared as brown skin hardened into blue scales and Alex's neck elongated, two arching horns curving out of his head.

"Penny? Can you hear me?"

"Yes!" Penny looked at Dragon Alex, who stared back with wide eyes.

"I remembered being able to do this last time, so I figured it would work again."

Juliette looked at them and gave a frustrated sigh. "Guess it's my turn. Let's try this."

It took longer for her, the flames growing each moment that passed. Finally, though, in Juliette's place stood a gleaming white unicorn tinted violet. "This is amazing!"

"Juliette, can you try to use your horn to strengthen my magic?" Penny asked. "I'm going to put out the fire."

Juliette nodded and stepped forward. Penny flapped her wings again, an attempt to do fly over.

She lifted off the ground, and flight felt natural to Penny as she glided over to Juliette.

Juliette lowered her head, and her horn glowed with violet light. Penny tensed involuntarily.