Chapter 24: The Door

The rest of the week passed fairly quickly. No Malum showed up, and everyone's powers improved by leaps and bounds.

Alex flew several feet off the ground and circled the room, Penny managed to have her fire go up and down her arm and keep it from burning her clothes, and even Juliette was able to teleport across the room.

But thoughts of the Malum were never far from Alex's mind, as in nearly every class there were whispers of who they thought the Fabulosa could be.

Juliette told them to just stay under the radar, that everyone would just forget about it in a week or so. Alex wasn't so sure.

Saturday morning, Alex was looking forward to his day off. He and Justin were planning on going outside and experimenting with their powers, Alex seeing how high he could fly and Justin practicing jumping and running.

"Are you gonna eat that?" Justin said, eyeballing Alex's bacon.

Alex put a protective hand over his food. "Yes. You already ate my apple."

"Maybe Nathan will give me his..." Justin looked across the lunchroom at his brother.

Alex shrugged and went back to eating. "Dude, just go get seconds," he said around a mouthful of food. "They always have leftover fruit and stuff."

"You are disgusting, you know that?" Juliette said, laughter in her voice. "Chew with your mouth closed."

Alex swallowed. "Sorry."

"No you aren't. Hey, Mr. Magister wants to see us in his office."

"Now!? I'm not done eating!" Alex shovelled another bite of pancake into his mouth.

Justin smirked. "Guess I get the bacon then."

Alex ignored him.

Juliette continued. "Penny and I had a note on our door this morning. It said for all of us to go in Mr. Magister's office. Didn't you get the note?"

Alex shook his head. "We left our room early."

"Why do you guys have'ta go see Mr. Magister? Did you get into trouble or something? It would have to be really big to go to him. Not even Nathan has ever gone to the Headmaster's office. What did you do?" Justin said, interested.

Juliette thought of an answer faster than Alex did. "We were wanting some extra help with our magic, so we asked Mrs. Amicus and she set up a private lesson with Mr. Magister."

Alex nodded and tried to look like he already knew this.

"Wow. That's cool." Justin went back to eating. "See you later. And can I have your bacon please?"

Alex rolled his eyes. "Whatever."

Justin shoved both pieces of bacon into his mouth as Alex stood up. "Where's Penny?"

"Here!" Penny jogged up. "Hurry, we'll be late!"

"Did Geneva ask any questions?" Alex asked.

Penny shook her head. "No it's fine," she said somewhat quickly. "So is this going to be the class he mentioned where we learn our other powers?" she asked as they walked away.

Alex shrugged. " I guess."

They walked up staircase after staircase. No one else was in this part of the school, and the silence was eerie.

"I feel like we should be there by now," Penny commented. "Does anyone actually know where we're going?"

Alex shook his head, and Juliette did the same. "Might as well keep walking. Remember that Mr. Magister said that there is an illusion that distorts things here," she reminded.

Finally they stopped in front of a pair of familiar wooden doors. "Do we knock, or...?" Penny's voice trailed off.

Juliette stepped up and rapped on the door. The noise echoed around in the hall, but from inside the office there was silence.

She knocked again. Still no answer.

"I hope everything is okay," Penny said, her voice concerned.

Alex tapped his foot impatiently as Juliette knocked once more. "What is taking so long?"

"Let's just open it." Juliette pushed on the heavy doors, but nothing happened. "Huh."

"What if you tried teleporting us inside?" Penny suggested.

Juliette shook her head, looking panicked. "No way! I don't know how to teleport more than one person."

"You're probably right. We wouldn't want to end up getting Splinched," Penny murmured.

Probably some Harry Potter thing again, Alex thought. He leaned on the door, and Penny did the same.

"Maybe with all our weight on it the door will open," Juliette said. "I mean, it can't hurt to try."

All three of them were about to push on the door, but it flew open without warning before they could.

The three kids spilled out on the ground, somewhere that was most definitely not their headmaster's office.

I accidentally lied to you last chapter. School starts Tuesday. Even worse. *internally screaming*

Sorry this chapter was kinda just filler, there will be more action in the next one, I promise! And yeah, the chapter title stunk. Sorry.

Please vote for a cover. Please? *puppy dog eyes*

And somehow this story is number 1 in the tag #magicschool! Thank you!