Chapter 36: Returning

"So... what exactly just happened?" Emma asked. "I mean, like, I know you turned into those mythical creatures, but when you were in the forms... I don't know, but you were acting really weird."

Penny struggled to explain. "Yeah... the Fabulosa... it's really weird, but it's like they took over our minds."

"Okay, that's officially really creepy," Justin said, wincing slightly.

"Definitely," Alex agreed.

Penny thought back to when she had transformed. Somehow, not only her body had changed, but her mind as well. It wasn't just that her mind was crowded out when Pheonix took control— it was also changed into the Pheonix's mind, merging them together.

But somehow she had managed to keep from completely becoming Pheonix. A part of Penny had remained intact, and she had managed to regain control of the body, becoming herself again.

And now it seemed like Pheonix was gone.

"Not quite, young one."

Penny flinched at the familiar voice in her head. "Are you okay?" Bane asked.

"Yeah, I— I'm fine." What?

There was silence in her head, and for a brief moment Penny thought she had imagined it. Then—

"I'm sorry."

It took all of Penny's willpower not to flinch again.

"I... we were wrong to take you over. We... Unicorn, Dragon, and I, we have been inside of you ever since your Coming. Just dormant until now. But the thrill of being in our bodies... it made us rash in our excitement, and somewhat accidentally, somewhat on purpose, we began to force your minds away, essentially erasing you. We were wrong. We are meant to work together— our minds merged, not one overpowering the other, but as equals, a blend."

Hang on, Penny thought. That's basically what I said to Juliette a minute ago. That we needed to work together. But I didn't know how I thought of that. Did you...?

"Yes. I pushed the idea into your subconscious."

That's a little weird, Penny thought to herself.

Pheonix laughed. "It is."

Wait— you can read all my thoughts? Penny asked.

Pheonix hesitated for a moment before answering. "Not all. Just... the loud ones."

Okay... Penny shrugged. She didn't really know what that meant, but decided to worry about that later. So, do Dragon and Unicorn agree with you about... you know, about the merging thing. Equals and all that.

Again, Pheonix paused before speaking. "Well... honestly, I don't know for sure. I expect that right now they are angry, being forced out of what they likely view as 'their' bodies, by ones as young as you. I have always been the most open to change out of the three of us... but I am sure that they will come around eventually."

Penny nodded. The others looked at her strangely. "Penny, you're being really quiet," Geneva said. "Everything good?"

"Yeah, sorry. Just zoned out there for a second." Penny gestured for them to continue what they were doing. All right then. So... you're who I talked to in that vision thing I had on my Coming?

"Yes. Penny, please believe me when I say that I have no wish to harm you. None of us do."

Yeah, that's why you tried to mash our brains, Penny thought before she could stop herself.