3

“The only way to make sense out of change is to plunge into it, move with it, and join the dance.” –Alan W. Watts

We reached the lake. I saw them go out of the car and took something at the back of it. I was about to go hop out of mine when I got a call. I checked the caller ID: Unknown Caller. I answered it.

“Miss Hendricks…” said the voice from the phone before I could speak. Ugh, Joe, one of my guards.

“I’m safe, Joe. Bye.” I said but before I end the call, he spoke and said, “Miss Hendricks, I’m afraid one of us should be with you right now. Your dad will be angry at us once he’ll know that you’re not accompanied.” Ugh, I don’t want to hang out with my friends with guards following me around. Hell no, not going to happen. “Your location, Miss?” Joe asked getting impatient.

“I can handle myself, Joe.” I answered. Drew made me jump when he knocked on my windshield signaling me to go out and follow them. I signaled back to say I’ll be out in a few.

Wait, we’re in the lake. I can see the whole lake from my terrace at the house. “Hey Joe, uhh, here’s the thing, I can’t let you follow me around, just this time. But, you can watch me.” I explained.

“I don’t understand Miss.” Joe replied.

“Come to my room and go straight to the terrace, you can overview the whole lake there. You can watch me there. Okay? Bye.” I said and hung up without hearing what he’s about to say.

I hopped out of my car carrying my bag. I can see from my car where Drew and Dylan spread a blanket and dropped the foods. They saw me and smiled. “Come on!” they called. I walked to them. A lot of unknown species of bugs here but I’m not that scared. I can handle this. It’s unusual for a city girl, no need to turn back now.

 I walked to them and sat beside Drew. “So, this is where the serial killers hide.” I teased.

They both laughed. “Well, you’re one of us now. All we need is a victim.” Drew joked.

Three of us laughed. Dylan opened beers for us and handed me and Drew one each. He sipped and asked Drew, “So, none of the guys are coming?”

Drew chugged his and rubbed the bottle. “Few of them will come, maybe two. The others are still coming home from vacation.” He answered.

Nobody is speaking so I did. “So… what school? I asked.

“What?” They both replied.

“Uhm… I mean, where do you – both of you – study?” I corrected.

Dylan chuckled. “Ridgetown High”

“I’m guessing most of the buildings or whatever here is named Ridgetown.” I said placing my beer on top of a rock with a flat top. “Ridgetown Coffee Shop, Ridgetown High, Ridgetown Grocery Store, Ridgetown, Ridgetown, Ridgetown.”

Drew laughed. “Not very creative, I know. But this town is amazing. I tell you that.”

I smiled at them. “Well, the amazing part I had here so far is meeting the two of you.” I smiled. And I remembered, “…and the blueberry cheesecake, may I add. That food is heaven! Never tasted something like that in my whole life.” I said, remembering the delicious taste of the cake.

Both of them laughed.  “I can’t argue with you about that.” Drew agreed.

I laughed and looked up. I remembered that Joe and my other guard Clinton are watching me from my terrace. I searched and saw our house. I can see both of them in a suit holding binoculars and watching us – me mainly. I watched them and saw Clinton held a hand to his ears like his making a call.