2

“If you’re brave to say ‘goodbye’, life will reward you with a new ‘hello’” –Paulo Coelho

“This is it” I murmured to myself as I stare at the welcome sign held by one of the guards my dad sent.  I walked to him and read the sign out loud. “Welcome to Ridgetown Miss Adallena Norine Hendricks! Smiley face.” He opened the door of the limousine and before I get in he apologized for the sign. I can be a devil sometimes… or always.

He took my luggage and carefully put it in the car. He got in the driver’s seat and the other guard that came with me on the shotgun. We drove off and I picked up my iPhone.

The ride from the airport to my mom’s house took 20-25 minutes. The house is nothing compared with our house in the city but it will do. It has a huge black gate, very wide driveway with a fountain on the center. The house is white with Greek columns, the porch is wide. Looks like the Whitehouse but a little bit bigger and there are so many trees surrounding it. I went in when one of my guards opened it. “Your mother is in her office. She will expect you to go there once you get here.” He informed. I looked at the hallway, carpeted floor… hmmm. “She’s here?!” He nodded. “Yes miss.”

I walked quickly to where my mom is. As my guard said, it’s the first door on the right when reaching the parlour. I opened the tall dark wooden two doors and barged in. My mom looked at me surprised she almost threw the papers she was holding. “My god Adallena, you startled me.” She stood up and placed her reading glasses on her table. “Where are your manners? You should’ve knocked.” She offered to give me a hug. I refused and stepped back. “Why?” she asked.

I walked passed her and sat at the arm chair facing the fire place. “Where are your manners? You’re asking me that? Wow. And yet you forgot to pick up your daughter at the airport and welcome her?!” I stood up and removed the sun glasses I’ve been wearing the whole trip. “You’re no different from dad.” I scoffed.

She walked to me and held me by my shoulders. “I’m sorry honey, I was busy.” She said rubbing them.

I removed her hands from my shoulders and looked away. “Yea, you’re so busy that you can’t take an hour or even half of it to pick up and see your daughter that you left and haven’t seen for eight friggin’ years.” She was going to say something but I grabbed my bag from the chair and walked to the door. I stopped once I reached the door and faced my mother. “Where’s my room?” I asked.

“Second floor, the only door on the left.” She answered looking like she’s about to cry.

I walked out of her office and saw my guards taking my luggage at my room and I followed them. Once I reached my room, I placed my phone on one of the table and scanned it carefully. It’s fine; It’s the size of the parlour. The bed is queen-sized, floral prints everywhere-even the walls- the floor is white, and a two glassed sliding doors that leads to a terrace that overviews a lake.

I saw something lying on one of my bed side tables. I walked to it and saw two car keys with a note that says: “Sent your Porsche 911 GT3 and bought you another one, 2014 Ferrari LaFerrari. Cherry red, the way you like it. Love, Dad.” And he thinks he can fix everything with cars. I’m not that shallow.

I dropped the note and sat on the bed. I scanned the room again and remembered my room in the city. “I miss my room. I miss Weston City. I miss…” just as I’m about to continue talking to myself, I heard a knock on my door. “Go away mom.” I shouted assuming that it’s my busy mother. The person behind the door cleared her throat. “It’s Helen, miss, one of your maids.” The voice said. I walked to the door and opened. “Oh, I’m sorry. I… never mind. Come in.” I said.