Twenty-Eight

"I didn't think you cared. And it hurt me. And you're always so damned calm, I can't tell what's going on."

Her hands were fisted in his shirt, and her tears left big wet spots on the fabric. He didn't seem to mind. 

"I'm sorry," he said again. His voice  rumbled with her ear against his chest. "I made a mistake. And I wasn't calm, and I'm not calm now, either. I want to talk to you about it, but not while you are hurt and in pain."

"Did your mom call you?"

"Yes. She didn't know . . . that I was no longer your adviser. And she tried Maz, but couldn't get hold of her or Rose. There's no need to talk about this. I'll let Dr. Haldo know you won't be in class today." 

"She needs me."

"You are in no condition to help anyone. Do you want to talk about last night?" 

She stiffened, and he continued to smooth those long fingers down her back, easing her toward sleep. 

"No." 

"My mother sent the Chief of Police down to your complex to start an investigation. She's livid. She hasn't even taken her oaths yet and she's already hell-bent on hitting the ground running with those campaign promises regarding crime. The person who did this has no idea what's coming." 

Every pulse punched through her skull. She couldn't think very hard without making it worse.

"Why am I here?" 

"Luke knew you'd be safe here, and that Obi would take care of you. Luke's seen enough injuries in his time that he knows when they are worth sitting in the ER for hours or not. Concussions, especially. It's just my mother here most of the time, so you're no trouble to host. She said to tell you to stay as long as you like."

Leia entered. Ben spoke to her quietly, and Rey couldn't make out their words unless she concentrated, which hurt. After a while, Rey noticed that they weren't both talking anymore, and that Dr. Solo kept repeating something. She focused hard on it, and realized he was asking her a question.

"Do you want to sleep again?"

"Mhm."

He laid her back down, cradling her as if she were made of glass. Leia stood nearby, watching.

"Do you want more medicine?" Leia asked.

"No," said Rey. "It makes me feel like I'm under water. I don't like that." 

Dr. Solo placed the ice pack on her forehead. 

"I look awful, don't I?" said Rey.

She couldn't see him through the ice on her eyes, and hadn't touched her face yet. But it was swollen and throbbing, and she couldn't breathe through her nose. 

"You look injured. Get some rest. I'll send Rose along and talk to Hux." 

When Rey woke again, Rose was in her room. 

"Oh my God, Rey, what the hell!" her friend said, hurrying to her bedside. 

The ice pack had fallen off of her face and now rested on her pillow beside her cheek. 

She sat up, and aside from the pressure in her face, she wasn't dizzy anymore. 

"What time is it?" said Rey.

"10:30."

"In the evening?" Rey was disoriented.

"No, the morning. You've only been here for about 7 hours or so." 

She swung her legs over the edge of the bed, and slowly stood. There was little bathroom connected to the bedroom. She stared into the mirror while she washed her hands, trying to make sense of the mess of her face. Her eyes were there, and her nose, but there was so much swelling that she didn't look like herself. The bruising was deep, and blue across her forehead, and black around her eyes. 

When she emerged, Rose was pacing. "I thought I was going to have to come in there after you." 

Rey attempted a smile, but it pressed up against her bruises and hurt too much. "Master Luke brought me here." 

"Yes," said Rose. 

"And there's a doctor here who's been looking after me." 

"Yes." 

"And . . . Dr. Solo was here, but I can't remember what he said. I didn't send him away though. That should make you happy." 

Rose hugged her. "You scared me to death."

"Sorry. I was pretty scared myself." 

"The Mayor said you should see the doctor once more if you decide to leave with me." 

"Leave with you?"

"Well yeah, I hope this will inspire you to finally agree to come stay with me."

Rey didn't want to be a burden or a bother, but she also didn't want to go back to the apartment by herself. She wasn't afraid of being there alone, but she was tired of being by herself all the time. For a while, she thought Rose must just be saying she wanted her around to be nice, but that now seemed stupid. Her friend genuinely wanted her in her life, not just at work. 

Dr. Obi cleared her, and advised her to stay away from screens for a few days and get some rest. He offered to write a note for Dr. Hux, but Leia told them it wouldn't be necessary. The Mayor hugged both her and Rose, and walked them out to Rose's little car. 

"You'll come back for dinner when you're feeling up to it," said Leia. 

Rey nodded, noting with some amusement that it wasn't a request. Rose took her back to her place, and helped her pack up her meager belongings. Then they went to Rose's apartment. Rey wasn't sure if she would stay for the long term, but it was nice to have a safe place to go for now. 

Finn was there when they arrived, and looked Rey over. "All things considered, you don't look as bad as I thought you would." 

"Thanks," said Rey. 

"I guess those self-defense lessons paid off after all," said Finn.

"I'm not so sure about that. I got an initial blow in by sheer luck, and I stomped on his junk to slow him down, but I didn't do anything the way I was taught." 

Finn cringed. "Any idea who it was?"

"No. And I hope I never find out."