Chapter Nineteen

Anna woke up upon a soft, cushiony bed. She was wrapped up in a royal-purple, velvet duvet. The golden crest of a doe was stitched into the duvet. Anna tensed, recognizing the purple and golden doe as the crest of Risedo. Her eyes darted around the room and widened. Drawings, clearly drawn by a child, were hanging on the walls. Clothes, fitting for a young princess lined the wardrobe. A stuffed teddy bear sat on the bed next to Anna, a faded pink ribbon tied around its neck. A bookshelf across the room was lined with children's books, stories that Anna had once been in love with. Anna slid out of the bed and stood up, biting her lip. A long time ago, this had once been Anna’s room, back when she still knew herself as Princess Portabella.
     Anna reached for the doorknob. Just as her fingertips brushed up against the cool brass knob, the door flew open. Standing in the door was a young man with chocolate brown hair and emerald green eyes. His eyes widened and filled with tears of joy. “Long time, no see Bella,” the man said with a smile. Anna threw her arms around the man, struggling to hold the tears within her eyes. It had been so long since she had seen this man. The last time they saw each other, they were only mere children.
     “It's been too long.....Tommy…” Anna whispered, flinching upon saying the name that she had not spoken in so long. Prince Thomas gently stroked Anna's back, holding her close to his chest. “Big brother will you come watch me play the pian-oh, who's that?” a little girl asked. Anna looked over Tommy’s shoulder to see a little girl standing in the hallway. Her hair was brown, just like her older brothers, although her eyes were a captivating amber color. Her hair was tied into two little pigtails. She was wearing a purple dress, tied back with a golden ribbon, which tied into a bow at the back. Her perfect complexion made her almost look as though she was a doll. Anna stared in amazement at the beautiful, little girl. “Bella, this is my little half-sister, Kayda. Kayda, this is the girl in those paintings, the one that we thought was dead. My adoptive sister Portabella,” Thomas explained. Kayda smiled and waved at Anna.
     Anna tensed, staring at the two siblings. “I go by Anna now. It's been so long since I've been called Portabella….it just doesn't sound right to me anymore...just call me Anna,” she whispered. Kayda nodded and grinned innocently. “Do you two want to come watch me play piano?” Kayda asked hopefully. Thomas and Anna both looked at each other then instantly looked away, breaking their gazes at each other as soon as they were made. “Yes, of course,” Thomas said, making up Anna's mind for her.
     The three royals traveled together down the stairs, through the palace, and into the ballroom. Standing in the ballroom was Carvar, Lydia, Vidro, and Analise. The four of them were talking. Carvar was obviously flirting with Lydia, while Vidro just nodded and smiled as Analise spoke. Kayda ran to the piano and climbed onto the stool with great difficulties. She turned and began pressing the keys on the piano in front of her. Soft, soothing melodies began to fill the ballroom.
     Carvar, seeing the chance to be a gentleman, bowed and held out his hand to Lydia. Lydia blushed and took Carvar’s hand. Carvar straightened up and placed his hand on her waist, beginning to waltz with the young witch. Vidro grabbed onto Analise’s hand and dramatically span her until she fell. He caught her with one arm, his eyes gazing into hers. Analise blushed and giggled. Vidro lifted her up and began to dance with her alongside his retainer knight.
     Thomas turned to Anna and smiled. “May I have this dance, Bella?” he asked, holding his hand out to Anna. Anna hesitated for a moment, then took the handsome young man’s hand. “Okay Tommy. You can have this dance,” she whispered in reply. The prince and princess both quickly joined in with the two other dancing couples. Kayda kept tapping away at her piano keys.
     The music and dancing kept going until sunset, when the group grew tired and Kayda ran out of songs to play. Anna walked over to princess Analise and Prince Vidro. As Anna approached, Vidro glared at her then walked away. Anna stopped dead in her tracks, unsure of how to feel about the prince taking his leave. “I don't know what's wrong with him….he's usually not this rude...maybe try talking to him?” Analise suggested, staring over at Anna.