Chapter Two: Whoops

Rey gasped as her eyes fluttered open and her body shot straight up from the floor. Another nightmare. It was 3:30. So much for reading, she thought as she noted her book strewn halfway across the room. She'd fallen asleep midday again. If only the darned nightmares would go away, she might be able to sleep at night.

Rey stood up wearily and ambled over to her desk. There wasn't much time left before school started, and she had to get her supplies in order. She shoved this year's collection of notebooks into her backpack, followed by several pencils and pens. She didn't want to be a senior. It was bad enough that she had no friends at school, yet the year's prospects were made even worse by the fact that she still had no idea what she wanted to do post-high school. Her thoughts turned to Finn and she shook her head. Maybe a bike ride would help clear her thoughts this afternoon... and wake her up.

Rey let the door swing shut behind her as she grabbed her bike leaning up against the house, hopping on swiftly. She pedaled out onto the sidewalk and began to pick up the pace through her small suburban neighborhood, grateful for the refreshing breeze brought by the increase in speed. Although Minnesota was known for its harsh winters, it still felt hot as hell this late in the summer.

Rey turned onto another quiet street, enjoying the noise of the birds. As she sped down the row of houses she noticed a moving van parked next to one of the homes. She slowed her pace just slightly; it didn't look like anyone was around the moving van at the moment. Maybe they were taking a break. Rey took a look at the house; it was a nice one. She wondered who was moving in. A sudden thud pulled her out of her thoughts and into reality; suddenly she was on the ground with her bike wheels spinning above her. She stood quickly, coming face to face with a tall, black haired boy about her age who appeared to have also just regained his footing. Crap, she thought. The boy's face was angry. "Why don't you look where you're going?" he snapped. "I'm sorry," replied Rey. "Yeah, well next time try not to run over the new neighbors." Was he cracking a joke? Nope. His face remained as stony as it was a few seconds ago. What a nice fellow, thought Rey sarcastically, feeling her own temper rise. "You could watch where you're going yourself," she retorted. The boy just glared and walked away. Rey hopped back onto her bike and continued to ride. Geez, he looks about my age. Hope he's not in my classes this year. She had enough enemies already.

As Rey pedaled back into her yard, she felt a twinge of regret at the first impression she must have made on her new neighbor. She hadn't even asked his name. How welcoming. And certainly hitting him with a bike couldn't have helped, either. Oh well.