Frost

Chapter 2

Cheryl's POV

I set Toni on my bed and wrapped a warm blanket around her. I couldn't believe how skinny she was, it is like she's being starved. She was starting to get warmer, her lips were less blue and she wasn't shaking anymore. But her breathing was really slow which is worrisome.

I starting thinking about school. Do I go tomorrow and leave this stranger in my house? Do I stay and take care of her? Will she wake up? What do I do when she wakes up? The thoughts were spinning in my head. I can't just miss school on the first day back. But I can't just leave her here. I decided to call Betty, she would know what to do I thought.

The phone rang and rang but nothing. I called her again and still no answer. So I just texted her instead.

C: Hey Betty this is an emergency. Please text back!

About 15 minutes later she answered.

B: I'm coming right over. You want Veronica to come too?

C: uh yeah sure. I just need help.

20 minutes later I heard a knock on the door. I ran down the stairs and opened the door. I sighed with relief that it was just Betty and Veronica.

"Hey girls! Follow me upstairs and what the hell am I supposed to do with this girl??" I said with a pinch of anger and sass. They both had a confused look on there faces.

We hurried up the stairs and they literally had to gasp. "This is not the time Cousin Betty." I rolled my eyes and sat on the bed with my hand on Toni's arm. She was warmer for sure.

"Cheryl, you need to put her in front of your fireplace or some warming pads because she's really cold. She looks sick. *whispers* she looks like she's about to die." Veronica said with a face of pity.

Die. That's a strong word.

A word I don't like hearing.

A word I don't like seeing.

A word I don't like feeling.

I thought she was doing better. That maybe she was going to be fine. I don't like hospitals, they have a vibe that I do not like. So many people die in hospitals. I didn't want to loose her. Even though I didn't know her, I felt like I did.

I sat there with tears in my eyes and my hands over my face. I couldn't deal with this right now. I feel like I'm about to scream.

I helped Betty pick up Toni and sat her in front of the fireplace. We both looked at each other with the expression "damn".

" I don't know that to do. School starts tomorrow!" I threw my hands up with anger. "I can't just leave her here! She looks as she doesn't have a place to go. What do I fucking do?" I have been trying to hold my tears back. Betty and Veronica wraps their arms around me with their heads on my shoulders.

Seeing Toni lie so still flooded back memories of my beloved brother JJ. How he was found dead at sweet water river on July 4th, his cold body so still, so lifeless. He was the best twin brother a girl could have. He was there for me when no one else was. Mother never was there for me, always just for him. Jealousy was building up inside of me when Toni's hand twitched. My eyes wide, I grabbed her hand and felt her fingers move.

"Toni? Toni please? Wake up please!"