protect

*Trust me, listening to the song around the end of the chapter makes it so much more sad and well..you'll get it.*

After eight last night, it was a blur. I didn't drink, I didn't take anything. But I woke up beside Trent. And that's when I knew that something had happened. I sat up straight and a wave of dizziness washed over my drowsy self. I tumbled around the room, trying to catch my balance and caught my reflection in the mirror.

Crusted blood, some still fresh clung to my skin, I ran my fingers along my cheek, a rough bump sent a flash of pain through my entire face. I slowly turned my face. A large shard of glass from a liquor bottle embedded itself into my usually freckles cheek. I gasped, my nose was bloody and swollen as well. I didn't remember a thing.

I rushed to the bathroom, almost slipping on the hardwood floors and dug through the cabinets and drawers for a first aid kit. Only bandaids were to be seen and some painkillers, I popped three into my mouth and swallowed them dry.

I couldn't call the police. I didn't even remember what happened, plus I couldn't do that to Trent. I couldn't lose him. He was the only one who still loved me. He wouldn't let go of me because he cared for me. He cared.

The floor creaked and footsteps grew closer. My heart pounded out of my chest with each and every footstep and creak. What had he done to me?

"Mari?" His voice was filled by sleepiness and a hint of hangover. He opened the bathroom door. His knuckles were bruised and they were bloody.

"Baby?" I silently begged to the Lord that he wouldn't hurt me anymore. Please. No.

The sink was at least a couple feet away from the door and there was no way I was getting out of here without being cornered first. I leaned against the sink and my hand fished for some sort of weapon behind me.

"Mari! What the hell?!" Tears stung the wound on my cheek and stained my face with its salty liquid, mixing in with the dried blood.

At last, my hand grasped the glass soap container. I remember a few months prior to Harry moving in, Trent had come home from Home Sense in Charlotte with new bathroom decorations. Including a nice soap container instead of the old plastic ones. It was Glass and it was decorated with pearls.

I didn't even think. As if it were in slow motion, I hit Trent over the head with the container and it shattered to the ground. I couldn't comprehend what Trent was yelling. But I took my chance and I ran out of that apartment, I fell into the walls and I pulled on the door like I was playing a game of tug-of-war.

My cries echoed in the hallway, it was raining and it made the situation more depressing than it already was.

"Please, Trent! No! Help!" Trent walked into the hallway, his head was a little bloody. But I did what I had to do to protect myself. Something no one should ever have to say.

With one push, I flew backwards down the flight of stairs. I only heard the sound of my own heart pounding and a crack. I was numb.

And then I was gone.

-
American hotline for domestic abuse:1-800-799-SAFE (7233).

Website link for more information and numbers:
http://www.thehotline.org

Watch these:
https://youtu.be/WL3rfk2iFww
https://youtu.be/hhHdIhfK7LQ
https://youtu.be/5Z_zWIVRIWk