chapter nine

I was laughing. For the first time in what felt like forever, I was laughing. I felt Jonahs hands on my legs, trying to stabilize himself with me on top of his shoulders. ''You're going down, chav!'' I laughed at Zach who was on top of Corbyns shoulders. ''Try me, cowboy.'' Jack threw a ball in the air, which Zach caught. ''Attack!'' I screamed and Jonah managed to make his way through the water toward the other two boys. ''Run, Corbyn, run!'' I saw the fear in both of their eyes. It might not seem fair, but Jonah was a strong lad and I wasn't really small, so our team was definitely in advantage. ''Fuck it.'' I lunged myself forward, grabbing Zach by his upper body and pulling him off Corbyn, myself falling down as well. We landed in the water and I jumped up, the ball in my hands. ''Victory is mine!'' 

Jonah and Jack started cheering as we made our way out of the water toward where our towels were laying. I threw myself onto mine, drying in the hot sun. ''That wasn't fair. Both of you are fucking giraffes.'' I turned my head around to see Zach putting on his sunglasses, about to lie down as well. ''Don't hate it 'cause you don't got it.'' I high fived Jonah who was laying right next to me. ''Anyone want something to eat?'' Corbyn brought in, wanting to change the subject which caused Zach to get all protective. ''Oh, oh an acai bowl!'' I jumped up. Corbyn laughed and nodded.

''Anyone else?'' Jack looked up and nodded. ''Some fries would be nice.'' Zach agreed and I looked at Jonah. ''Jo?'' He didn't respond and I slightly kicked his side whilst putting on my shorts. ''Hm?'' We started laughing and I shook my head. ''Food?'' He smiled, not opening his eyes. ''That bowl shit you always get.'' I rolled my eyes and grabbed my phone. ''Let's go.'' 

Corbyn and I walked off the beach, leaving the warm sand from underneath our feet behind. ''This is great.'' I said in a soft voice, not wanting to make everything awkward again. All of us finally managed to get the accident out of our minds. ''It really is.'' We stopped at a small cart and I ordered three acai bowls. Corbyn left to go to a cart just next to the one I was at, ordering fries. ''Uh could I five bottles of water aswell, please?'' I smiled at the woman inside the cart, reaching for the bowls. 

''Corbs, could you give me a hand?'' I quickly paid and looked to the side just to see that Corbyn had the same idea, somehow managing to carry 5 bottles of water and the food in his arm. ''Oh.'' We both said and started to laugh.

''I thought about visiting Daniel tonight.'' I said whilst we walked back up the beach, already seeing Jack and Zach kicking around the ball, Jonah still on the sand. ''Keri got the visiting hours.'' Corbyn nodded. ''Movie night on Wednesday?'' I smiled at his words, knowing non of us wanted to let the accident and its aftermath taking over our lifes. ''Sounds amazing.'' 

We dropped the bottles on top of Jonah, causing him to jump up, screaming. ''Fucking hell.'' I laughed at him and handed him his bowl. ''Food, children!'' Jack and Zach quickly ran towards us, grabbing their fries from Corbyn. We all started eating, not bothering to try and talk. We were just enjoying the moment, somehwat acting like nothing happened.

''Daniel Seavey?'' I leaned over the frontdesk, a guitar in my hand, my ID in the other one, handing it to the nurse. ''Room 256.'' She handed me back my ID and smiled, which I returned and walked  up to a different room than the one I've been to the day before. 

''Hey there.'' I peacked inside the room to see Jeff and Keri sitting with their son. We smiled at each other and I closed the door behind me. ''Hey dear. How are you?'' I pulled a chair next to them and shrugged. ''We went to the beach. It was good. Getting our head clear.'' Keri placed her hand on my leg and smiled. ''That's great. Keep doing that.'' I nodded and leaned over the edge of the bed to stroke Daniels hand. ''What's with the guitar?'' Jeff looked at me with a smile. ''Had a song in my head since last night. Maybe he'd like to hear is.'' Keri smiled at her husband. Both nodding. I grabbed the guitar and started playing a tune.

''Where do I start? All these thoughts inside my head collide, and decide I'm stayin' in tonight. They say 'follow your heart.' but its beating uncontrollably, I can't hear what it's tellin' me this time.'' 

Keri grabbed Daniels hand and I smiled at them.

''We're dancin' on the edge of anxiety's ledge and I might fall again, I might fall. We're walkin' on a rope of worry, and I hope that I don't fall again, I don't fall.''

Jeff quickly whipped his tears away, Keri on the other hand let them stream down her face.

''Take me somewhere I can be, I can be myself. Oh, take me somewhere I am free
Free to be myself and nothin' else.'' 

I stopped to look at the parents of the man I loved. They had sad smiles on their faces. ''That was beautiful, dear.'' I thanked her and looked at Daniel, somewhat thinking the song would've made him wake up, which it didn't. ''He heard it.'' Jeff said and watched me get up. I walked right up to the bed, sitting next to Daniel. Keri smiled at Jeff and both of them nodded, getting up and leaving the room. ''We'll wait outside.'' I grabbed Daniels hand and gave it a kiss. ''You fucker should open your eyes.'' I laughed a little, waiting for him to do the same. ''Or just give me a sign.'' Nothing happened. I let go of his hand and stroke over his hair, placing a kiss on his forehead. ''See you tomorrow, dani.''

I left the room and saw Jeff and Keri talking to a doctor, both smiling. ''Everything alright?'' Keri hugged me and nodded quickly. ''Daniel's body is working on its own again. The bleeding stopped and the fracture is healing.'' I smiled and felt both of them hugging me. ''So, he's going to be alright?'' The doctor nodded. ''Daniel only has to wake up. If his body is strong enough to wake up, he's going to be just fine.'' All of us smiled and I looked at the door, Daniel was behind. ''Does he hear anything going on around him?'' Keri asked. ''Yes, there's a high possibility that he's hearing and even feeling. But we can not be sure that he rememberes any of it after waking up.'' I looked at him confused. ''What?'' He took in a deep breath. ''We are certain that he will wake up, but the coma and head wound might have damaged his short term memorie. We can not be sure right now.'' My heart dropped again.