Chapter Thirty

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

One Month Later

Tig shook his head as he watched Opie walk to the dorms with a red-headed croweater wrapped around him. He turned to look at Chibs who was sitting beside him at the bar.

"When was the last time he saw his fucking kids? I haven't seen him leave here since... well, you know."

Chibs shook his head as he looked at Tig. "He doesn't leave unless it's club business. Were you ever able to get out of Harmony what happened between them?"

Tig shook his head. "Nah, she ain't talkin. Man, we got to figure out how to get them back together. All she does is work. She practically lives at the store with Max."

Chibs nodded, looking thoughtfully off into space. "Let me think on it, yeah? I might have an idea or two."

"You don't think the club has done enough damage?"

The two men turn on their stools to find Gemma standing behind them with a glare on her face. Tig shook his head. "Come on, Gem. You know Ope just wanted everyone on the same page. Harm didn't need to know what happened to Donna. It's best all around."

Gemma shook her head and looked disgusted. "Don'tcha mean it was best for you and the club?"

Chibs started to reply when Clay walked up and cut him off, shooting his wife a dirty look. "Stay out of things that don't concern you, Gemma! Harmony didn't need to know the truth. It would have only hurt her, and that's what the club agreed on. Stay out of it."

Gemma shook her head, smirking at her husband. "You boys just don't get it, do ya? Yeah, it would have hurt her for a bit, but she would have recovered and gotten over it. To hide it from her though, makes it look twenty times worse than it was, and believe me, it was bad enough, to begin with. Not only that, but you somehow managed to get it into Opie's head that he needed to distance himself from Harmony and the kids, I'm sure for their own good."

Clay winced at that. "Yeah, that we didn't mean to do, but we've all been there with the women we love. It's a fine line that we walk. Tell them everything or nothing, protect them until we can't. It's the can't that gets us, babe. Every fucking time."

Gemma shook her head. "That may be true with old ladies like Tara and Donna, who have to work hard to trust the club, but Harmony was raised SAMCRO. She knows the ins and outs, and there isn't much that would shock her. Not only that, but she can handle herself. She doesn't need constant protection." She smirked at her husband before elbowing him. "She's like me."

The guys all chuckled and nodded, admitting that Harmony was, in fact, more like Gemma than a new old lady. They all fell quiet, each trying to come up with a plan to get Opie back with the woman that they all knew he still loved.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Harmony looked up when she heard the knock on her partially open office door. She was expecting one of her employees but was shocked to see Dawn standing there, looking uncomfortable.

"Wow, hi. Never expected to see you standing there. What can I do for you?"

Harmony motioned for Dawn to come in and sit down, and her sister did, glancing over at Max laying sleeping in his Pack N' Play. She looked back at Harmony with a small grin.

"Never expected to be here. I've had some... changes and wanted to catch up with you."

Harmony glanced at the clock on the wall and nodded. "Well, how about some lunch? I think the special at the diner today is meatloaf."

After packing Max into his stroller and letting someone know that she was leaving, Dawn and Harmony walked down the street to the diner, Dawn chuckling. "Wow, nothing ever changes here, does it?"

Harmony grinned. "No, I don't suppose so." She took a deep breath and plunged into what had been foremost in her mind since seeing Dawn standing in her doorway. "Why are you here? If it's for Max, I... "

Dawn turned with a frown. "Oh god, no! I didn't want him back, Harm! That's not why I'm here, don't worry."

Harmony let out a breath of relief, grinning at her sister. "Well, you have to admit, I had a reason to worry. I mean, here you are, looking sober and relatively put together, and I had to wonder if that was the case."

As they sat down at a table and ordered, Dawn shook her head and chuckled. "It's been a crazy couple of months. After you came for Max, I got to thinking. I mean, look at my life. I was willing to give up my child for a boyfriend who just hit me and threatened to kill my baby. What kind of person does that?"

Harmony shrugged. "A strung out one that doesn't realize that they have options. I admit that when I came to see you, I wasn't concerned with your well-being. I was worried about Max, and making sure that he was taken care of."

Dawn nodded. "And you were right to feel that way. I had nobody to blame but myself for the shape I was in." She looked down at her hands where they were clasped together on the table. "The day after you left with him, my old man beat the shit out of me. I realized that night, laying in the E.R., that I had to do something or I was going to die. I checked into the hospital rehab and started getting clean. About six weeks ago, an ATF agent came to see me. Said that Max was in danger because of the club influence over you and that I should take him back. Harm, I didn't realize that she was just fishing for information, I swear to God I didn't."

Harmony reached out a hand and squeezed both of Dawn's, giving her a smile. "I know that and it's ok. It all got straightened out." She took a sip of water before continuing. "So, why are you here?"

Dawn chuckled as the waitress sat their food on the table. "You always could tell when I wanted something." She sighed before continuing. "Alright, I'll come straight out with it. I need a place to start over and wondered if you would help me."