six

"And this is how is starts. You take your shoes off in the back of my van."

I walked away from the record player, rubbing my neck in hopes of alleviating the kink in my neck. I had fallen asleep on the couch after Ashton brought me back home at a time I can't recall. I glanced at the clock, realizing I had slept the day away. It was three in the afternoon and I had nothing to eat since last night. I was starving. I pulled out a box of pasta, planning on making some macaroni cheese. I sang along to the 1975 record as I waited for the water to boil. 

        I was eating my macaroni cheese on my couch in under thirty minutes. I ate it as I stared at the blank warm grey walls of my flat, tapping my foot to, Girls, the current song playing through the speakers. I finished eating and set the empty bowl on the coffee table covered in medical papers I would never read. I laid on the couch, searching netflix to find something to watch. Feeling nostalgic, I selected Scooby Doo. I marathoned it for the next few hours without interruptions. If I had to live the rest of my life reliving today I wouldn't complain. Sadness had came in waves over the past few days. The truth would be slapped in my face just as I began to forget. Distractions helped, but didn't heal. No matter how many hours I spent watching cartoons, I was still dying. I didn't want my death to define me, but I had no idea how to stop it. Knocking on my flat door made me jump out of my skin, frantically searching for the wii remote to pause my episode of Scooby Doo. 

"Margo I can hear you in there."

Ashton laughed, continuing his loud pounding on my door. I was relieved to know it was Ashton and not my mother, but I was still hoping to get away with not answering the door. I stood in front of the door in silence for a moment, thinking that maybe he had left. The pounding on the door ensued, I sighed, leaning towards the door handle. 

"What do you want?"

I asked unlocking the door. I was wearing the same clothes as yesterday and my hair was no where near brushed as I swung the door open, revealing Ashton and..Michael?

"That's not a very polite way to answer the door."

Michael scoffed, now standing next to Ashton instead of behind him. We all stood awkwardly in the door for a moment, before I realized what I was supposed to say.

"Come in, I guess."

I moved out of the door frame, walking back over to the couch. Michael and Ashton followed behind, sitting down next to me.

"Were you watching Scooby Doo?"

Ashton smiled, glancing at the tv.

"Yes."

I mumbled, making Ashton giggle.

"Stop laughing at me!"

I whined, frowning at Ashton and Michael who were now both laughing.

"That's it, get out."

I faked a serious face, pointing towards the door. Ashton and Michael both looked at each other in confusion, Michael about to stand. I cracked a smile, turning my head so they wouldn't see.

"You need to stop doing that!"

Ashton exclaimed, figuring me out.

"You need to stop being so gullible."

I laughed, making Ashton pout.

"Seriously, though. What do you guys want?"

I asked.

"I came because the guys and I wanted to invite you to our gig on Friday at Murray's. I don't know why Michael's here."

Ashton explained, fixing his wild hair. I had to think for a moment before I realized that today was no longer Wednesday, which meant their concert was tomorrow.