Prologue

As the dampness in the air began to rise from the Oak forest two cat shadows were hurrying across the clearing in the ring of Oaks. From above the half-moon shone down as the cats lowered their heads and rushed into a broken hallow log.

"Dappledstar!" A small silver she-cat called into the log as she raised her muzzle to yowl again her companion stopped her by covering her mouth with her tail.

"It's been a long day Silverpaw, perhaps we can tell her in the morning," the pale grey she-cat lifted her tail and turned away her massive white paws leaving large tracks for the apprentice to follow.

"But StarClan said it was important!" the small silver she-cat replied, "and it's my first real medicine cat duty!"

"And healing your fellow Clan mates isn't?" the grey she-cat snapped at her apprentice, "really Silverpaw think before you open your mouth sometimes!"

"Mintflower?" The two cat froze turning towards the hallowed stump as two green eyes peered out from the shadows, "was everything alright at the Crystalcave?"

"We have news from StarClan for you Dappledstar, an omen of what is to come." Mintflower replied turning around to face her leader.

"Isn't it my news." Silverpaw grumpily replied her long silver fur puffing out around her.

"Your first omen from StarClan, that must be exciting for you Silverpaw." Dappledstar replied taking a step out from the hallow tree, her tortoiseshell fur shimmering in the last rays of moonlight, "you might as well come in and share it with me and then your both to rest." Turning around her tail flicked in the air and the other two she-cats followed their leader into her den.