Chapter 6

"Angel? You must be Angel.” A calm voice was speaking to me. I looked up at the nice looking lady. Flashing lights were everywhere and I was covered in blood. My arms stung. I look down, crazy scratches run down my arms and my shirt is torn. I look back up at the lady.

“Ma’am, we need to get her to the hospital. Please step behind the tape.” A man came over to her.

“Oh I am sorry but I am with the witness protection services as well as child services. She is not to leave my sight until full legal custody can be arranged.” She stated.

                  “What is that?” I asked looking up at them as someone started cleaning me up.

                  “Oh sweetie, you aren’t going to be living here anymore. Would you like to see who you will be living with?” She was trying way too hard to make me feel better.

                  “I want my parents.” I glowered at her. Who was she and why was she trying to tell me where I am living? My parents are gone but that doesn’t mean I can’t say good-bye. “I want to say good-bye.”

                  “Well now you can say good-bye later. Now we must get you cleaned up and taken care of.” She took my hand and pulled me over to her car. “Here we go! You will find a new home quickly sweetie! You are pretty and still young! No problem at all!” She just kept talking and talking. I look out the window at my home. A light drizzle started as we pulled away. The lights continued to flash as a tear fell down my face. I close my eyes and didn’t look back. “Good-bye Mommy. Good-bye Daddy.” I whisper as I picture their faces for the last time.

***

                  “Angel, Angel you’re flying!” I giggle as Daddy swings me high. High into the sky. I spread my arms as he lets go and then catches me again.

                  “Higher Daddy, higher!” I laugh and laugh as the wind blows and a bird flies by.

                  “Richard, be careful. She’s all we’ve got and she’s the one.” Mommy walks over smiling as she watches us. Daddy catches me and holds me close.

                  “I love you baby.” He kisses my forehead and smiles. Then he pulls Mommy into the hug and kisses her too. “I love you both.”

                  “I love you too Daddy!” I hug him and then hug Mommy. “And nothing will happen to me Mommy. I’m six!” I sing as Daddy sets me down and I run back to the house. 

***

                  I blink as the car stops in front of a glowing building. It’s raining now and I’m wet when I get inside. Everything goes by as I wait. I don’t know how many days go by but then Mommy comes for me.

                  “Oh you poor thing! I am here! We will take her. Tom, we are helping this little girl.” Mommy turns to Daddy. They have come for me. I smile at them. They are nice. They are family now. They are Mommy and Daddy.

                  “Yes she has been through a lot the past couple of days and needs foster care.” The nice lady is talking to them. I am Angel. I am Skye. I am new. “Skye?” I look up at the lady as if that has been my name my whole life. She looks startled that I responded but then smiles. “Skye this is Jenny and Tom. You will be living with them.”

                  “No it is Mommy and Daddy.” I correct her as a hug them. I think I startled them but they will understand. They must understand. I am taken away and leave everything behind. I smile, everything will be okay.