Chapter Twenty-One

Our lunch hour was filled with laughter and conversation. Axl rested his arm over the back of my chair and I'd occasionally feel him playing with the ends of my hair while he talked with Shale. My happiness bubbled to the surface until I couldn't help but smile. Finally it was time to get to class and I gathered my trash for the bin on our way out of the dining hall. As I stood, Axl grabbed my messenger bag and secured it over his shoulder and nodded to the exit, silently directing me. Once we'd dropped off our trash and trays he grasped my hand in his and walked out with me with. I caught Samantha's glare as I walked through the door and smirked at her in response.

"You shouldn't provoke her." Axl said catching my look at Samantha. His voice was admonishing but he smiled in amusement.

"Don't spoil my fun." I pouted and he just squeezed my hand, smiling.

Axl and I walked to Biology and took our seats. He slouched down slightly and swiped the front of his dark hair out of his face. His bright blue eyes outlined with long dark eyelashes. He glances at me and gives me a small smile but it slowly turns serious.

"You didn't say anything before, but I just want to make sure I didn't overstep back there." Axl says.

"Overstep how?" I ask.

"Everything with Samantha back in the cafeteria just now. I know we didn't have a chance to talk about it much on Saturday and then I just claimed you in front of the entire student body. I didn't ask if that was alright to do. I don't really know how you feel..."

I stop him right there with a raise of my palm.

"It's fine. I'm actually....." I pause to gather my thoughts. "I was afraid that I'd never see you again when I didn't see you in homeroom."

"Why is that?" he asks.

"Because I was such a bitch to you before and I was friends with Reed and listened to his lies and..." I start to babble but Axl grabs my hand and I stop talking, only focusing on the feel of his hand in mine.

"Hey, look at me." He says grabbing my attention. I look up into his crystal eyes and they hold my gaze with complete sincerity.

"Everything is okay. I understand about Reed, he can be very charming when he wants to be. It didn't make me want you any less."

"What about my attitude when we met?" I push.

"Oh, that only made me like you more; even before I knew we were Matched." He smirked and I laughed.

"Seriously, though. I am in this, if you want me." He tells me, his hopeful smile tugging on the corners of his mouth. I weave my fingers between his and smile at him.

"Of course," I tell him and he smiles a full grin.

Mr. Beck arrives and calls out to get everyone's attention onto today's lesson. Axl pulls our joined hands under the table and I scoot my chair closer so I don't have to lean over. We remain this way throughout class, occasionally sneaking glances at each other and smiling. Later, when we were given our team assignment and I had release his hand so I could write on my paper, Axl leaned close to me and dropped his arm around my desk chair as if he was comparing our answers. I held back my shivers when I felt his warm breath tickle the small hairs on my neck. His thumb started tracing circles over my shoulder and glanced at him from the corner of my eye and found him already looking at me, a knowing smirk on his face.

Not one to be teased, I shifted so my leg pressed more against his and leaned into him as I pointed to the next question on our assignment paper. My hand dropped to his thigh to balance myself as I leaned over. I felt his muscles tense under the denim against my palm. Before I could pull back, Axl reached up and tucked some of my hair behind my ear, caressing my earlobe as he did. His fingers gently glided down the column of my neck, sending shivers through my body. He leaned closer and murmured only loud enough for me to hear.