Part 6: Is Qadar Pyar Hai Tumse Ai Humsafar

Ishita had been momentarily stunned when her head glancingly hit the tree as she fell.

She awoke to an aching pain in her left ankle, the feel of Raman's arms around her and his stricken, fevered declarations of love. "My love, meri jaan, ankhen kholo..." (My love, my life, open your eyes) She had heard it all.

Her tears had started flowing too, but he had missed noticing them in the rain and the darkness.

Finally, when he had stood up with her, her head cradled against his chest, his strong arms holding her tight, the rapid beats of his heart thundering against her chest, when he had whispered her name again, she had opened her eyes.

***************************************
When Ishita opened her eyes, Raman's world righted itself on its axis, his heart dropped back to its rightful place and stopped threatening to explode, and his turbulent mind calmed down.

He did not say another word, but hurried to the shelter of the house, his eyes holding hers briefly before they followed the light guiding him and his precious cargo to safety. They entered the living room, and he stopped to catch his breath, leaning against the wall, collecting himself.

She made a gesture, wanting to get down, but he grasped her even closer. There were a few other LED lanterns dotted around, and he had no difficulty seeing where to go.

He navigated the stairs in quick strides, making for the bedroom upstairs, shouting instructions over his shoulder as he went "Doctor ko bulao. Abhi" (Call a doctor. Now.)

The butler followed him up the stairs a minute later, and found Raman in the room, Ishita in his arms. The sahib was breathing heavily, his eyes riveted on the memsahibs face.

He entered the room and hurriedly started to light the firewood already set out in the fireplace.

"Sahib," he said "Phone nahi lag raha. Mobile bhi nahi chal raha hai. Doctor Saab ko kaise...,,"
(Sir, the phone lines are down. The mobile is not connecting either. How do I call the doctor...)

The fire had been lit and he moved quickly to the door, in preparation to leave the Bhallas room before the Sahib's temper erupted. It was too late though.

"What the hell." Raman exploded, his anxiety for the well being of his wife returning. "Theek hai garage kholo. Mein jaata hoon doctor ko laane..."
( Okay, fine, open up the garage. I'll go and get the doctor)

Raman was still standing with Ishita in his arms, unable and unwilling to let her go.

She had not said a word since she opened her eyes, but had been looking up at him with her big brown eyes, a glow of contentment interspersed with momentary pain from her twisted ankle.

She finally spoke now, but it was not to her anxious husband.

" Bhaiya, aap jao. " she said, smiling at the butler. " Sab theek hai"
( Bhaiya, you can go. Everything is fine)

The butler smiled in relief and departed hurriedly, closing the door behind him, happy to escape from the gathering wrath of Mr. Raman Kumar Bhalla.

***************************************
"Raman" Ishita tried to calm him down, looking up at his worried face from the safe cocoon of his arms, feeling the heat from his fingers through her wet clothes. "Its okay. I am a doctor too, remember"

"Doctor nahin, dentist" he snapped back automatically. "And Ishita, you were unconscious, I can't take any chances..."

"Accha, at least put me down Raman, I need to change..."