Part 8: Suhana Safar...

Saturday morning

The storm had passed by the time Ishita awoke the next morning. She blinked uncertainly, trying to orientate herself as to where she was.

The memories of the previous day and night came flooding back and she smiled luxuriantly ...

*Flashback starts*

Despite his admonition to her to go to sleep when he left her, Ishita had still been awake when Raman returned to the room the previous night.

He had turned off the lanterns, leaving the room lit by the soft glow of the dying embers in the fireplace. She had watched silently as he climbed into bed beside her, the first time they had been alone together in such proximity, since Ruhi had tricked them into sleeping alone after their dinner at the Pandara Road restaurant.

She had woken up then to find his hand holding hers, his unconscious need for her manifested even at such a traumatic time during the court case.

As if remembering that night, Raman turned towards her and took one of her hands in his, entwining his fingers with hers. He still lay at a distance from her, no other parts of their bodies touching, just their fingers and their hearts beating in rhythm.

They had talked long into the night.

He had laid open his heart, his past, his insecurities and his pain to her. He had told her about his marriage to Shagun, the joy he had felt at Adi's birth and in watching him grow up, the love he had felt for Shagun and his family, and then the insecurities that started to build up when Ashok had come into the picture, followed by the utter pain and devastation of Shagun's betrayal.

He had told her about Ruhi's birth, about how Shagun had not wanted another child, but he had thought that a baby would bring them closer again. His voice choked as he told her about Shagun leaving him, about how Adi had been taken from him, and about how he had struggled to connect with Ruhi, and to express the love that he felt for his little girl.

He acknowledged his guilt about Adi and how that guilt had led him to cause so much hurt to her and to the others who loved him.

She had grasped his hand tighter as he spoke, letting him spill out his emotions, feeling grateful that he trusted her with his deepest secrets and vulnerabilities.

Finally, exhausted, he had opened his arms to her, holding her close to his heart, as his eyes closed. She had slept too then, safe in his arms, conscious of a deeper connection having been established between them, knowing that she would soon entrust him with her fears and her insecurities too.

*Flashback Ends*

Now, as she awoke, her hands searched for him beside her, but the bed was empty...

"Jag gayi, Kumbhkaran" ( So you're up my Sleeping Beauty) his laughing voice was melody to her ears.

He was sitting on the divan, freshly shaved and showered, and dressed in a light blue shirt and faded jeans. She stared at him, her breath quickening at how handsome he looked, wondering why her hands suddenly felt clammy, wondering what that delicious feeling, that ache was was that rose up within her as she stared at him....

He was smiling quizzically at her, and she shook her head mentally. Act cool Ishita. Otherwise he will notice you are ogling him.

"Aap ke waje se hi to kal raat ko jaagi thi itni der tak" she responded, going on the attack as defence against her feelings. "Aur haan , yeh pehli baar hai jab aap mujhse pehle jaage hai, toh aap zyaada smart banne ki koshish mat kijiye."
( I was awake for so long last night just because of you. Besides, this is the first time you have woken before me, so don't act too smart)