Chapter 8

Mark
December 12, 8:59 a.m.
Ottawa Canada: The Grand Prix

  I prepare myself for whats to come as I step into the rink with Ivy and Zara. Me and Ivy don't really talk much as we put on our skates and do our warm-up, making sure that we have the program perfected. "Hello! Welcome to the annual ISU Grand Prix here in Canada!" Me and Ivy are eleventh to skate, so after the ten other pairs do their program, it's our turn. "Ladies and gentlemen, please welcome Ivy Maucauly and Mark Laurence! They are both from Pennsylvania United States and also a new pair! Ivy Maucauly was a solo figure skater before receiving and injury last year and switching to pairs, and Mark Laurence an ex-hockey player, quitting hockey and returning to the ice doing pairs as well." After the announcer stops speaking, we're already in our starting posititon, waiting for the music.

                            ❄❄

  We sit in the Kiss and Cry, and anxiously wait for our score. I dont expect to be in the top 3, since Ivy kinda went a little faster in one of the combonation spins. "Final Score of Mark Laurence and Ivy Maucauly." The speaker booms around the rink. "297.67. They are currently in 2nd place." The audience cheers for us. Ivy squeals and hugs me, which takes me by suprise at first but I hug back. She pulls away to look at the crowd and throw up peace signs above her head. I smile at her. After that we go to the Lounge Room where skaters, after their performance, can relax for a bit. I get on my phone to check for notifications and low and behold theres texts from Veronica. "You did so good babe!❤" I stare at the text. "You saw the performance?" I reply. She responds almost immediately. "Of course I did!" I turn off my phone and smile. "Mark get up." I turn to look at Ivy. "Hm?" "I said get up." I stand up and look at Ivy. "What are you looking for?"  "I'm looking for my jacket." She says, desperately searching around. I grab my jacket and give it to her. "Here. Just take mine." She stares at the jacket, then back at me. "Im not taking your jacket." She says flatly. "At least until we find yours." I say. She sighs. "Fine." Im able to sit back down while she puts on the jacket and zios it up, revealing the U.S.A logo.

Ivy
December 13, 4:09 p.m.

The following day, we preform our free skate and we stay in 2nd place in order to get onto the podium. To be honest, I was scared both at the short program and free skate that I would mess up. Ever since the accident at the Olympics last year, I've been so worried that I would mess up or worse, it happen again. After that, we went to an after party the ISU prepared for us at a fancy restaurant called "Ratatouille". We lounged about for an hour and a half before leaving to our hotel. As we walk into the lobby, a deep voice calls out Marks name. We both turn around to see a man, a bit taller than Mark, with chestnut colored hair and green eyes. "Jeremy!" Mark yells. I guess they know each other, I thought. I stand there, thinking that I should go upstairs, when Mark pulls me next to him and says, "Oh! This is my partner, Ivy." "Hi." I say nervously. He sticks out his hand. "Hey." I shake his hand and I dont know what to say so I stay silent. Jeremy creeps a sly smile onto his face. "So she's your partner?" He says to Mark. "Yea" He replies. The smile grows bigger. Mark catches on and blushes. "Oh no! Not like that! We're skating partners not a couple."  I chuckle. "I'll see you later Mark. Im going to my hotel room." I say looking at Jeremy. "Ill see you later." And with that, I walk off. I soon get to my hotel room door, and as soon as I grab my bag to get my keycard, I see someone walk down the hall. I resume to get my card, but when I take another glance, I noticed that It's my best friend that I've known since 5. "Crystal!!!" I yell with overhelming joy as I rush over to her and give her a big hug. "Ivy!" She says with her soothing voice. "Oh I missed you!" She squeezes me so hard, that I lose my breath. "Can't... Breathe.." She lets me go and laughs. "Sorry." I catch my breath while Crystal says, " I know its late but do you want to hang out righ now?" "Sure." I say. "Let me drop off my stuff first ok?" She nods. "Sure."