Ch. 1 Part 14: Gina & Devin

On the way out of the forest, several beasts attacked us, but they were all knocked to death with the whip from Rei's hand. Because the forest was not very big, we left area C fairly quickly. The sun was blazing and the trees became sparse. It was late noon by the time we reached area A.

"My Eri, do you want to process the beasts here?"

"Eh? Ye-yeah that's a good idea."

Whew. Fortunately, Rei proposed to do it. None of the beasts were hunted by me, and it would look really bad if I acted like I had a share...

I followed Rei and we settled next to a small stream. All the beast corpses were waved out of Rei's body storage and I helped with ordering them by species and number. Rei turned his hand into a sharp green blade and made neat cuts on the bodies. Great, we can salvage their skins for tanning later! But it would be better to buy Rei a set of daggers and a weapon. I don't think it's good for him to reveal his identity in front of others.

Slish. Squelch. Splatter.

Unlike the bloody rabbit nightmare that happened before, Rei stripped the beast skins very cleanly this time. If he could do it this way, why didn't he do it sooner!

"Why do you seem so familiar with disassembling and processing beasts, Rei?"

"From time to time, there will be warriors that treat animal corpses in the slime dungeon. I have learnt a lot from observing them. Would you like me to teach you, my Eri?"

"No no no, it's fine. I can watch and learn by myself."

Rei smiled at me and continued to use the water element to manipulate the beast flesh and collected the nuclei, bones and other useful materials. I don't think I can get used this...the beasts look like they're coming back to life—except for the fact that they don't have any skin left and their eyeballs are protruding...

"Three wood element nuclei and two wind element nuclei! Hey, this is pretty rare! A dark element nucleus! It must have been from the blood bat just now. I'm so envious, Rei, you have a really great harvest."

"I don't need it, my Eri. It's all for you."

Ha?

Did I hear it correctly?

Rei is giving me everything?

"You..you really mean it? I can have all of this?"

"My Eri, they serve no purpose for me. The skins are useless. I won't level up anymore from devouring beast nuclei. And I can't use these bones, nails or horns."

"Then, then I won't be shy! I'll take these wood element nuclei and wind element nuclei. They can be used for compounding. But you should keep the rest. You can trade the material for some gold coins to buy yourself a good weapon."

I'm really lucky Rei doesn't need these materials! It's usually really difficult to come across elemental nuclei. General beast nuclei can only be used as power stones at most.

"Wait, the two people over there, you don't need these materials? Give it to me!"

Eh, this voice?

"Gina?"

"Hm? Is this Eri? Your head is green! Oh my God, ahahahaha!! Devin, look at that, is this the latest fashion? She's compounding all day long, is this a new recipe? Ahahahahaha!"

Ah? I touched my hair and looked at it. I almost forgot...my hair really has turned into an awful shade of bright green. It suits Rei, but not me. I must look like some kind of goblin...or kappa right now...

"Are you friends of my Eri?"

A plain looking man with dark mouse-brown hair stepped forward to introduce himself.

"Hi, my name is Devin and this is Gina. We're from the same orphanage as Eri. You are?"

"I am her husband."

Rei answered promptly with a soft smile. Devin was slightly taken aback.

"...um, how do we call you?"

"Rei."

Rei didn't have many words for these strangers. From the way the woman named Gina spoke to Eri, he could tell that there was malice and ridicule in her tone. Any insult to Eri is an insult to him. A soft smile still hung on his lips, but it was a few degrees colder.

"Oh Rei, I hope you're not confused. Did Eri tell you that she is a compounder? Everyone in town knows she hasn't even got a star badge to her name. If you don't believe me, you should tell Eri to take it out. Right, Eri? Don't think you can climb someone's bed with your empty identity!"

"Gina! You're wrong! I don't have one because I'm saving up for a 3-star badge! It's a waste of money to buy an assessment for the 1-star badge."

"Less quibble and fibs girl. I'm doing you a favour from falling further in shame. And I'm giving this adventurer brother a heads up to know you're a marriage scammer. Yes, Rei?"

Gina smiled flirtatiously at Rei and gave him a wink. She couldn't see that Rei's eyes were getting colder by the second.

"My Eri, doesn't have to be anything to be my Eri."

Not only did Rei not respond to Gina's wink, his reply also made her frown with disbelief.

"You-"

Devin grabbed Gina's shoulder and shook his head. Gina hesitated and resumed her smile.

"Then, Rei, if you don't need these beast materials. Can I have it? I haven't had the luck to meet any beasts today."

Rei quickly flashed the materials into his storage space, as if to avoid Gina's greedy grubby hands. He no longer looked at Gina and spoke dismissively to her.

"This is what my Eri has given to me. You may find your luck in area B."

"...is that so...thanks...we'll see you later..."

Gina's complexion stiffened, and she faked a smile. When she turned away with Devin, her eyes became fierce.

"Devin! Did you hear anything about Eri getting married?"

"No, it should be a recent thing."

"That slut! She's always pretending to be better than us, but she's found herself a pretty strong blockhead. Do you think it's a love potion or something? That Rei guy looks like a wealthy nobleman, but he's completely smitten with her. Why would anyone be serious with a nobody like her."

"I don't think she has love potions."

"...you're right if she did she'd be rich by now. Spread the word, Devin! Eri's found herself a loaded sugar daddy, they need to get robbed don't they?"

"Gina..."

"Just spread it! We don't have to do it ourselves. I can't stand it when she thinks she better off than us!"

"...I know some people."

"Good!"