2. The First Zone : Shock and Reaction

Author's Note: The first Zone begins now. Enjoy the violence, and don't forget to add Zone Albrecht to your reading list and vote and comment if you like it! 

--

Extract from Angela's diary

Tuesday 4th March 2008

We entered this huge room. And when I mean huge, I mean HUGE.

There were a thousand corridors everywhere. I looked up. There was transparent glass for the roof, just like in churches, and the sunlight reflected upon us, showing us the colors of what looked like a very cheerful day.

It would be everything but a cheerful day.

A fucking bloody cheerful day.

We stepped inside timidly and slowly. The strange mixed race girl with pigtails told us that we had to find the exit of this place by ourselves and that, once we'd get there, she and the "others" (I'd learn later that, by that, she meant her and the other ghosts) would "greet us" (HA!) and bring us to our rooms (the nursery room!).

So she left us there. The doors automatically locked behind her.

Finding the exit of a room? How hard could it be?

Two girls I knew, Chloe and Dolores, who were friends of Julie's, must have thought the same thing because they advanced slowly towards what appeared to be an elevator door.

They asked us what we were waiting for before pushing a button.

The transparent doors opened and they walked inside.

Meanwhile, other kids had started to wander around.

I looked for Rabbito, but couldn't see him, so I decided to start walking forward on my own.

That's when I heard the scream.

The elevator was being propelled at an abnormal speed towards the ceiling.

The two girls inside it were screaming. They stopped.

Because the elevator had crushed against the ceiling before exploding.

We all shrieked in terror. That's when the horror truly began.

It was panic among all of us. Some ran to the right, some to the left, some in circles, some straight ahead.

You'd collapse against people, get stepped on, etc.

But, worst of all, there were traps. Other traps than the elevator.

Spikes randomly came out of the floor as you ran on the left. I saw some kids get empaled by those huge picks coming out of the floor as easily as a needle goes through the thinnest and finest tissue.

I saw their brains oozing out from their fractured skulls along with some green and white liquid.

I saw blood, a lot of blood.

I saw one kid get cut in half by huge axes fixed on the ceiling.

And I ran, I was terrorized, and I ran. I almost tripped on the corpse of a burned kid, apparently a girl, cause she had lots of black goo, probably her burned hair, glued around her face and shoulders.

Never in my life have I been so fucking terrified.

Yesterday with the nurse, or creature or whatever, in comparison, was just mere goosebumps.

This time I really thought I'd spit blood from the effort it took me to run. And I actually did.

Since I was too panicked and busy trying to detect a thousand traps and look behind me, I didn't see the wall right in front of me until it was too late.