Chp18: Friends Again

A sudden slamming and loud footsteps made the four of us look up. We hadn't realized what a racket we had been making, but of course, someone downstairs must have heard the crashes and the troll's roars.

A moment later, Professor McGonagall had come bursting into the room, closely followed by Snape, with Quirrell bringing up the rear.

Quirrell took one look at the troll, let out a faint whimper, and sat quickly down on a toilet, clutching his heart.

Snape bent over the troll. Professor McGonagall was looking at Ron and Harry and I. I had never seen her look so angry. Her lips were white.

"What on earth were you thinking of?" said Professor McGonagall, with cold fury in her voice. Harry and I looked at Ron, who was still standing with his wand in the air.

"You're lucky you weren't killed. Why aren't you in your dormitory?"

Snape gave Harry a swift, piercing look. Harry looked at the floor. At this point I seriously wished Ron would put his wand down.

Then a small voice came out of the shadows. "Please, Professor McGonagall -- they were looking for me."

"Miss Granger!" Hermione had managed to get to her feet at last.

"I went looking for the troll because I -- I thought I could deal with it on my own -- you know, because I've read all about them."

Ron dropped his wand. Hermione, telling a downright lie to a teacher?

"If they hadn't found me, I'd be dead now. Harry stuck his wand up its nose and Ron diverted its attenstion and Cathy knocked it out with its own club. They didn't have time to come and fetch anyone. It was about to finish me off when they arrived."

I looked at Hermoine in disbelief. Never in her life had she told a lie... even a small one to any teacher.

Harry and Ron and I tried to look as though this story wasn't new to us.

"Well -- in that case..." said Professor McGonagall, staring at us.

"Miss Granger, you foolish girl, how could you think of tackling a mountain troll on your own?"

Hermione hung her head.

Hermione was the last person to do anything against the rules, and here she was, pretending she had, to get us out of trouble.

"Miss Granger, five points will be taken from Gryffindor for this," said Professor McGonagall. "I'm very disappointed in you. If you're not hurt at all, you'd better get off to Gryffindor tower. Students are finishing the feast in their houses."

Hermione left.

Professor McGonagall turned to Harry and Ron and I. "Well, I still say you were lucky, but not many first years could have taken on a full-grown mountain troll. You each win Gryffindor five points. Professor Dumbledore will be informed of this. You may go."

We hurried out of the chamber and didn't speak at all until we had climbed two floors up. It was a relief to be away from the smell of the troll, quite apart from anything else.

"We should have gotten more than fifteen points," Ron grumbled.

"Ten you mean, once she's taken off Hermione's." I said.

"Oh... We did save her though. She couldn't even stand up properly.

I glared at Ron. "It was your fault in the first place. You made her cry."

"Fine! We are even now." He said.

I smiled. Atleast Hermoine was safe.

We had reached the portrait of the Fat Lady.

"Pig snout," we said and entered. The common room was packed and noisy. Everyone was eating the food that had been sent up.

Hermione, however, stood alone by the door, waiting for us. There was a very embarrassed pause. Then, none of us looking at each other, we said "Thanks,"

I hugged Hermoine and she hugged me back.

Harry and Ron stood smiling.

"Can I get a hug, too?" Ron asked Hermoine playfully, "Don't curse me off though. You will have to take me to the hospital wing. Mind you, I don't have any enery left in me."

We all started laughing. It was a relieved laughter.

It went without saying now.... Hermoine was now their friend. And I would not have any issues thinking who to choose.