Chp9: At Hagrids

"Are you coming Hermoine?" I asked her.

"Where?" She asked.

"To Hagrid's. With Harry and Ron." I said.

"Nope thanks."

"C'mon Hermoine! It will be fun... atleast I think it will."

"No Catherine. I dont wan't to! And that to, with Harry Potter.! Really?" She asked looking exasperated.

"Why? Whats wrong with him?"

"Didn't you see? He lost us two points today." She said.

"So? Even I lost Gryffindor a point. Does that mean you will even stop talking with me?" I asked her raising one eyebrow.

She looked at me looking suprised, "Oh no... I mean really..."

"Whatever Hermoine. I'm going. See you in the common room later. Bye." Saying this I turned heels and left her behind. I think I even heard her mutter something like 'bad company' but I shrugged it off.

At five to three I met Harry and Ron at the gates of the castle. For some reason they kept looking behind me as if expecting someone.

"Expecting someone else?" I asked.

"Umm... Nope its just the three of us." Said Ron.

"Don't worry Hermoine isn't coming." I said and smiled.

Both of them looked at me with suprise in their eyes. "How do you...

?"

"How do I know? Well I can read minds." I said playfully looking at their familiar faces of suprise.

Harry was the first to snap out and began to laugh only to be joined by Ron and I.

"Well that's a relief now we know she isn't coming! I was just telling Harry you know. We should have specified that YOU are welocme to join us. Not your sister." Said Ron.

"That's really mean. I actually had invited her to join us. She said she didn't want to come." I said crossing my hands on my chest and frowning.

"Still a relief." Shrugged Ron.

But before I could argue futher Harry said, "I think we had an appointment with Hagrid. So if you guys are finished with you kind little conversation, can we proceed?"

"Yeah." Ron and I said. I walked in between Harry and Ron so I bent towards Ron and whispered, "I'm not done with you yet!" He looked at me and stuck out his tongue.

Hagrid lived in a small wooden house on the edge of the forbidden forest. A crossbow and a pair of galoshes were outside the front door. When Harry knocked we heard a frantic scrabbling from inside and several booming barks. Then Hagrid's voice rang out, saying, "Back, Fang --back."

Hagrid's big, hairy face appeared in the crack as he pulled the door open. "Hang on," he said. "Back, Fang." He let us in, struggling to keep a hold on the collar of an enormous black boarhound. There was only one room inside. Hams and pheasants were hanging from the ceiling, a copper kettle was boiling on the open fire, and in the corner stood a massive bed with a patchwork quilt over it. "Make yerselves at home," said Hagrid, letting go of Fang, who bounded straight at Ron and started licking his ears. I laughed loudly at Ron's discomfert as he threw me a scoul.

Like Hagrid, Fang was clearly not as fierce as he looked. "This is Ron" Harry told Hagrid as he pointed to him, "And Catherine." He said indicating to me.

"Another Weasley, eh?" said Hagrid, glancing at Ron's freckles. "I spent half me life chasin' yer twin brothers away from the forest."

"And ye... Catherine eh? Nice to meet yer." Hagrid said to me.

"Pleasure." I said smiling at him, "You can call me Cathy, Hagrid." I felt myself opening up to people here more than I had ever done. I liked opening up. I liked having friends.

The rock cakes were shapeless lumps with raisins that almost broke our teeth, but we pretended to be enjoying them as we told Hagrid all about their first -lessons. Fang rested his head on Harry's knee and drooled all over his robes.

We were delighted to hear Hagrid call Fitch "that old git."

"An' as fer that cat, Mrs. Norris, I'd like ter introduce her to Fang sometime. D'yeh know, every time I go up ter the school, she follows me everywhere? Can't get rid of her -- Fitch puts her up to it."

Harry told Hagrid about Snape's lesson. Hagrid, told Harry not to worry about it, that Snape liked hardly any of the students

"I think he hates me." Said Harry miserably.

"Rubbish!" said Hagrid. "Why should he?"

"Yeah Harry, didn't you see? He even took a point from Gryffindor because of me." I said.

"How's yer brother Charlie?" Hagrid asked Ron. "I liked him a lot -- great with animals."

While Ron told Hagrid all about Charlie's work with dragons, I picked up a piece of paper that was lying on the table under the tea cozy. It was a cutting from the Daily Prophet, the Wizardry world newspaper. Harry noticed me and he too peeped into the paper and we began to read::

GRINGOTTS BREAK-IN LATEST Investigations continue into the break-in at Gringotts on 31 July, widely believed to be the work of Dark wizards or witches unknown. Gringotts goblins today insisted that nothing had been taken. The vault that was searched had in fact been emptied the same day. "But we're not telling you what was in there, so keep your noses out if you know what's good for you," said a Gringotts spokesgoblin this afternoon.

I hardly bothered about this but, "Hagrid!" said Harry suddenly, "that Gringotts break-in happened on my birthday! It might've been happening while we were there!"

Hagrid merely grunted. We only chatted for some more time before leaving. Harry however remained silent as though he was pondering over something.

As we made our way back to the castle, Ron and I argued who ate more of Hagrid's solid cakes. Harry still remained quiet.

Neither did he say anything, nor did I ask.