Chapter: 3

I hadn't seen my parents since last Easter. They weren't always around, and when they were they never had time for me. It was just like back in Kentucky. 

Yes Tommy, I'll do it later.   Never done.

Sure Tommy, I'll see it in a minute.   Never looked at.

Of course Tommy, I'll play with you tomorrow.   It's been three weeks.

I don't even think they really love me. No, you know what? Now that I think of it, they don't. I've never been told "I love you" by anyone, not even them. I've never gotten a kiss from them.  I've never even gotten a hug!  Sure, they buy me expensive gifts, like a flat screen TV and an iPhone 4s, but they've never given me the thing I have wanted since...well...forever. 

Love.

Did I love them? I'm sure I did deep inside the way a daughter is supposed to just automatically love her parents but I didn't choose to love them. To me, they weren't even my parents. They were just a man and a woman who claim they gave birth to me then just left me hanging to fend for myself.  

So I finally did it.

I approached the house.

As I opened the door I heard some scuffling feet across the wood floors, a shh noise and then my parents jumped out from behind the door. 

"Aaaghhhh!" i screamed. I was NOT expecting that.

"Mom, dad, you scared the crap out of me. Don't ever do that again! Please!" I said while breathing heavily. I was not good when I was scared.  And trust me, I got scared easily. 

"Tommy!" they both shouted when they saw me. And they, wait. Did they just... hug me? And why were they home now? They weren't spposed to be here until next week.

"Why are you guys home early?"  They both exchanged a look and I had no idea what was going on.

"Tommy, Chirstmas is this weekend,"

"Yes, I'm well aware of that, Dad," I said

"Well we just thought that maybe we could actually be here to celebrate it with you and Aggie," My mom said quietly. 

"What?" I yelled. Christmas without pain? I didn't think it existed. "Yes!" I jumped up in the air and I think I caught my parents off guard considering I fell into my dad. All he did was back up. Huh. I guess this Christmas wasn't going to be as amazing as I thought. 

***

Nothing. I had gotten no presents this year. Not one. Aggie so far had gotten a new TV, an android, a $300 check, and a 24 karat gold necklace. I had gotten my parents a whole lot of presents but I got nothing. 

"Hey mom, did you guys get me anything this year?" I asked hoping that it was something other than a new TV.

"Yes actually we did, Tommy," and she reached behind her back and pulled out...... an envelope. Well at least it wasn't a TV. Unless the TV was very small. 

I took the envelope and carefully opened it. Inside was something I never expected to see in my entire life.

Three one-way tickets to England. 

I looked up at my parents only to see that they were grinning like maniacs. This could only mean one thing: I was getting away from Aggie.

Forever.