IX

The fire lights up the dark sky. Isaac and I sit shivering as the others roast marshmallows.

"Okay well you guys only have two big blankets so you can use one of them but you're sacrificing that," Phoebe says. Isaac and I look to Auguste as if asking permission.

We discovered a bit later that Auguste told Amber they'd split up looking for us but really Auguste zipped himself into the tent and napped.

"I'll grab it," I say getting up. I grab the lighter blanket and throw it over Isaac, then sitting down, pulling some blanket for myself.

"Phoebe hands us both a stick and marshmallow."

"I spent a good amount of time finding the sticks and burning the ends so you should be fine."

Isaac tugs at the blanket so I tug back.

"Thanks," I say.

He tugs at it again.

"Got any ghost stories?" Phoebe asks.

"Oh," Amber pipes up. "So I was texting this boy for like a month and he asked me out and like I said yes then he ghosted me."

Addi looks at Amber dumbfounded with how stupid Amber can get.

"Yeah, cause that's real scary," I say sarcastically.

"Ooh scary stories?" Amber says. "I've got a few."

"Go for it," Phoebe says.

"Okay so I was walking home at maybe eleven pm ish and some car pulled up beside me. They said something I didn't quite hear then they slowly drove away and when I went to turn into our neighbourhood they stopped and I saw them turn around so I ran."

"Amber, not that kind of scary story..." Addi mumbles.

"Amber this is why mum doesn't let you out late."

"I'm bored. How's about truth or dare?"

"What, are we eleven now?" I snort.

"Eleven year olds play spin the bottle. I'm not playing to dare you to kiss someone I want to play so I can dare someone to go hug a tree or something stupid," Amber defends her point.

"Fine go hug a tree," Addi says.

"One, you didn't dare me, Two I didn't even pick dare. Oh and three, real creative."

"You came with it?"

"On the spot."

"Fine truth or dare?"

"Dare."

"This is so lame," Addi groans. "I don't know, go... uh... hm. Eat that burnt marshmallow on the grass."

"Ew!"

"Actually no, this is entertaining now," Addi laughs.

"No I can't do that!"

"Fine, you do that and we'll all participate in this stupid game."

"Speak for yourself," Auguste says.

"Okay, everyone but the party pooper."

"But it's like glued to the grass. How do I even— oh but you know what, I've got to get revenge on Isaac and Casey for making me run across the campground for nothing."

Isaac chuckles beside me, bringing my attention back to the blanket and the fact that he has more so I tug at it again.

We all watch as Amber slowly starts to pick at the marshmallow.