Hunk

The steady beeping of the heart machine was unnerving, but the sheer paleness of the boy on the bed was worse. Way worse.

Katie sniffed, holding her dad's hand tighter and biting her lip. She wanted to stop crying but she couldn't. She wanted to stop seeing the fear in Shiro's face, the way his blood covered hands shook. The way his voice broke.

Someone was knocking on the door but no one moved to answer it. Matt was upstairs, still crying. Like he had been since Shiro went missing. Mom was often up there trying to console him.

The knocking persisted till Dad sighed and opened the door, then gasped loudly and ushered her out the room. She caught a glimpse of a man in a police uniform standing next to a boy who looked scarily familiar and then the door slammed close. Her mum had ushered up upstairs into Matt's room and sat with them, sat with them till her Dad opened the door and she realised the boy was Shiro, and his hand's were bright red.

Now she knew what had happened. Keith and Shiro had both been kidnapped, by Keith's old foster parent, and the cruel man had made a blind boy cross the road when a car was coming. It had hit Keith head on, and sent him skidding across the road.

The evidence was all over Keith's face. The scrapes that were red and angry looking. The bruises and bandages and the cast hidden underneath the blanket.

The way Keith was on life support.

There was a knock on the door and Keith's nurse quietly walked in. He dad ushered her outside where she came face to face with a boy who was at least a foot taller than her.

"........... Hi?" She finally asked after sizing the kid up and the boy smiled.

"Hi! I'm Hunk! Who are you?" He asked, too excited to match the atmosphere.

"...... I'm Katie, it's nice too meet you!" She chirped.

Suddenly the hospital wasn't so foreboding.