FIVE ~ ASHOK CALLS DEV...........

PRAKRITI NEST

THAT SAME NIGHT

Dev decided to retire to his bedroom after having his fill of some mouth-watering dishes prepared by his loving dii............Kriti had been awkwardly quiet since evening..........she hadn't been talking to Pranay, more to his uneasiness..........Dev had tried convincing her by all means, but looked like she wouldn't be so easily convinced, not until Pranay would try convincing her in his own sweet way..........

As soon as Dev came back to his room, he picked up his phone to dial a call to his mother, he was surprised to see 10 missed calls from his father..........wondering what could be the reason for his father calling him so many times, he dialed the number back only to hear a very unpleasant voice on the other side.........

Kitni baar kahan hai tumse, jab Bharatpur se lauto to seedha ghar aaya karo........kya jaroorat hai uske ghar jaane ki........

(I have told you so many times, come straight home when you come back from Bharatpur..........what's the need to go to her place?)

His annoyance for Kriti was clearly visible in his baritone.........he tried not to cuss infront of Dev but then Dev was very well aware of his mannerisms............he decided to keep his calm and not annoy Ashok more, he already had strained relationships with his daughter and son-in-law..........he didn't want to add more to the troubles.........

Papa..........woh Bharatpur se lautne mein der ho gayi.........aur phir main aur Pranay factory bhi gaye the.........wahan se waapas aate aate raat ho gayi..........to socha dii ke ghar hi ruk jaau aaj raat.........kal subah hote hi yahaan se nikalunga..........I promise.........

(Dad.........we got late while returning from Bharatpur.........and then me and Pranay had to visit the factory.........it was late evening by the time we left from there.........so I thought I should stay back at dii's place tonight..........I'll leave early tomorrow morning, I promise........)

Ashok ran his fingers along his forehead before pinching the bridge of his nose.........he knew he had to control his anger, he just cannot give it out and show Dev how much he hated his son-in-law.............he had been tolerating Pranay's presence in their lives just because of Dev and Sanskriti..........if it hadn't been for the two of them, he would have got Pranay killed or sent off to a far off land long back.........he wouldn't even be traceable now.........

Beta tumse kitni baar kahaan hai...........I miss your presence around the place........tum 4-5 dino keliye ghar se bahar rehte ho..........aur jab laut kar aate ho to seedha apni dii se milne chale jaate ho..........kya hum tumhare liye koi mayine nahin rakhte?

(I've told you so many times son..........I miss your presence around the place.......you stay out of house for 4-5 days and when you come back you go to meet your dii first........don't we hold any importance in your life?)

Dev felt ashamed all of a sudden...........guilty to be precise...........he knew how much his dad loved him..........he knew how he would wait for his return eagerly whenever he would go out on factory inspections or field trips...........but still every time he would give more importance to his sister and friend rather than his parents..........his mother was a quiet woman, she would never complain.........it was always his dad to make his annoyance visible enough for him..........

I'm sorry if I hurt you Papa...........but aage se main aisa bilkul nahin karunga.........I promise..........main sabse pehle ghar aaunga..........

(I'm sorry if I hurt you Papa........but I won't repeat this henceforth.........I promise, I will come home first........)

Talking to Dev for some more time, Ashok put the phone down only to find his wife, Maya, eavesdropping on his conversation with his son...........she stood hidden behind the pillar, unaware of the fact that Ashok could clearly see her in the mirror placed on the adjacent wall...........