Chapter 2

Alex

I buttoned the last button on my shirt and pulled my waistcoat on, staring at myself in the mirror. I still couldn't believe it. In a few hours, I'd be a married man. A soft knock on the door to the dressing room interrupted my brief thoughts. "Come in," I said. The door opened in the mirror's reflection and D stepped in.

He closed the door behind him and stood there, watching me. "Something's missing," he said after a while. He walked over to me, picking up my suit jacket that hung on the back of the chair. I tugged on the lapels once he helped me shrug into the jacket and he dusted my shoulders. "There," he said and smiled at me, "you look even more handsome."

I turned around and looked at him. "You don't look too bad yourself," I replied. And I wasn't kidding either. Dante and I had been friends for years and I had seen him in a suit all of three times. And he just looked better in them as he aged. Dante smiled sadly and my face fell. "D..."

"Oh hush," he said, sniffling.

"You didn't even let me finish," I replied, rolling my eyes.

"That's because I know you're going to tell me not to cry, that everything will be alright and that you being married doesn't change anything about our friendship and whatever." Damn, it was crazy how well he knew me. "I know. These are happy tears. Tears that haven't been spilled yet, bee tee dub." I chuckled at his attempt to make a weird situation better. He shook his head and inhaled. "I really am happy that you're happy, Lex."

"Really?" I asked, feeling a little teary myself.

"Really," he replied, squeezing my arms. "I love you, Alexander Abrams. And I'd rather have you in my life as my best friend than not at all." He pulled me into a warm embrace. I wrapped my hands around his waist as he kissed my cheek, wrapping his arms around my neck.

"I love you, man, and I couldn't imagine anybody else as my best friend and best man," I replied, squeezing him back. Another knock interrupted our tender moment and we broke our embrace as our friend Ben poked his head inside, saying that it was time. I inhaled deeply then let it out. "Let's go get me married!" I said, opening the door wider.

"You go ahead," Dante replied, "I'll catch up."

"You okay?" I asked.

Dante smiled and nodded. "I just need to not look like a crying mess up there. Seriously, two minutes."

"Ah. Right," I said. "See you out there." I smiled and turned around closing the door. I inhaled deeply again and walked down the hallway through the open doors of the chapel.

*******************************

Dante

As the door closed, I waited till the sound of Alex's footsteps disappeared and sank down into the chair, truly breaking down. Tears streamed down my face as I couldn't hold them back anymore. I was stupid for letting him do this. What kind of person was I? I was letting the love of my life make the biggest mistake of his life by marrying that succubus. "Oh God, why?" I asked, sniffling and looking to the heavens. I shook my head, willing myself to calm down.

Alex was my best friend. Sure, after that night, certain feelings that I knew were never going to be returned began to develop and they only grew with every day that passed. I loved Alex. I loved Alex more than a friend. But it was BECAUSE he is my best friend that I never did anything about it. Alex and Jenna's relationship blossomed after that night and I could see that he was happy. And I couldn't wreck how happy he was.

I plucked a couple tissues from the box on the vanity, dabbed my eyes and blew my nose. When I looked presentable, I opened the door and walked down the hallway and into the chapel. I joined Alex and the other two groomsmen at the altar, along with Father Micahels. Father Michaels had known me since I was a baby. He had baptized me, he was my first and only parish priest. When I first started feeling conflicted about my sexuality, it was Father Michaels who calmed the inner storm. I was surprised, as he was a priest, THE priest. He was chosen by God, anointed by God and sent by God to help us on our paths to righteousness. And he was the first person to tell me that it was okay to be gay. It was he who reassured me that God made me in His image and that in his eyes, I was perfect. "God loves the sinner, not the sin," he told me. "Now doesn't that sound like God loves you?" The opening bars of the wedding march began, bring me back to the present, as bridesmaids glided down the aisle. Finally, the Wicked Witch came through the doors, escorted by a man that I could only assume was her father.